Speaking of first birthday parties, JB's was fantastic! Such a beautiful day, with lots of love from our family members and close friends. I have, admittedly, been planning this shindig on my secret Pinterest board for months, and I'm so very happy with how everything turned out. I tried to just relax and enjoy the party, and didn't even take one picture. (A special thanks to my Dad for capturing all these shots below - I take zero credit for anything other than creating such an adorable, photographic child.)
First, the theme: Oh How Time Flies
This one seemed more than appropriate because - dear goodness - the past 365 have gone by at rocket speed. (I wish I could go back and tell myself this during days 30 to 100, when I had a very colicky baby and didn't think we would ever survive, ha!) Our theme allowed me to center in on something that I like and, hopefully, JB will to: airplanes. I did splurge on this little "vintage" airplane toy, which provided a fabulous prop for his invitation pictures (but, unfortunately, stayed down in the basement during the party because this scatterbrained Mama forgot to put it out!!)
Oh, the invitations! A friend of a friend created lovely invitations for us - they turned out even better than I expected. (Plus, working with Kate from Rustic Avenue Designs was a great experience - check her out!)
For decorations, I tried to find the perfect balance between "nicely done" and "you've most definitely spent too much time on Pinterest". I think I found it, although I did spend an obscene amount of time making paper airplanes for the garland.
I also created posters and banners (pulled by airplanes) for JB's monthly pictures, which we couldn't stop looking at. (Confession, they are still up now because I can't bring myself to throw them away! They may become permanent decor in our house!)
For food and drinks, I tried to keep to the theme where I could. We noshed on boiled peanuts, pretzels, ham sandwiches (smoked the day before by James and my dad), and fruit. The adults got to indulge in a Bloody Mary bar and Mimosas. We like to travel first class around here.
And then there was the cake! Or, I should say, CAKES! The sisters made three different pound cakes: bourbon, chocolate, and sour cream. I can attest that all three were delicious, as I sampled each one of them for quality control.
I wasn't quite sure how he'd act, but little JB did so wonderful during the party! At first, he (plus the rest of the kiddos) seemed a little suspicious of everything - the people, the set up, the decor, the dog.
Fortunately, the kiddies warmed up to the idea of a fiesta, particularly when JB's truck (a present from his Gia and Aunt Wyllene) was rolled out and they realized we had cake (and cheese).
I have to say that the balloons seemed to be JB's favorite part of the party. Poor child doesn't get to touch or go near balloons after Mama read several articles about the extreme danger of choking on latex balloon shards. If I hear a balloon pop, I want to throw JB in the car and drive to Alabama. Let's hope he doesn't remember how fun these puppies were (he won't see them again until his next birthday.)
Now JB did NOT enjoy the party hat his Mama made for him. "But my theme, JB, my theme!!", I said. Aviator, schmaviator - he wanted no part of it.
And what is a first birthday party without a messy cake smash?
JB didn't disappoint when it came to his cake - a little timid at first (especially as he did not enjoy icing on his fingers), but as soon as he tasted the sweet frosting goodness there was no stopping him.
After his eyes glazed over and we realized he had consumed half the cake, we wised up to the fact that maybe he was (or should be) done…
Note to self: next time, we take family pictures BEFORE the cake. Homefries couldn't be interrupted from stuffing his face to pose for pictures. Nor could he resist sharing cake with us (and those little hands were sticky!)
Our little godbaby enjoyed the cake, too. Such a sweetie to share with her Mama!
We are so blessed with such dear family and friends-who-are-like-family. They made the day special, and reminded us of how much love and support we've received over the past year. JB is truly a lucky little man!





































Looks like the perfect party for your sweet little guy :) he sure is lucky to have you as his mama!
ReplyDeleteLove, love, LOVE it!!! I so enjoyed all of these pictures and the party recap -- looks like a wonderful day was had by all, thanks so much for sharing with us!!
ReplyDeleteIt was fun!! The decorations were perfect!! I could use a mimosa right now!
ReplyDeleteAnd your god-daughter really enjoyed the cookies as well!!