There are two neighborhood exchanges on Facebook that I am a part of here in Buckhead, a fairly bougie (as in boo'-she) part of Atlanta. I believe the original intent of the Exchanges was to provide an "safe" Craiglist-type outlet for people to buy and sell goods (knowing that people were all within the same area for drop offs and pick ups and could only be admitted following address confirmation, maybe even a poly.) One exchange is for adults (clothes, golf equipment art, etc), and one for children's items (clothes, toys, strollers, etc). I'll be the first to admit that I've taken advantage several times - great deals! Plus, when the seller is in our specific neighborhood, it's hard to pass up a good deal that requires walking two streets over for pick up. Now it's turning into a place for advice, guidance, restaurant suggestions, etc. Maybe not the original intent, but not a bad thing**.
So, I scour the Exchange frequently for deals…but also for entertainment. Y'all, people are crazy. Out of touch. In serious need of someone commenting "are you for realz" (which I am tempted to do all the time. ) Just a few examples of what's been keeping my eyebrows in a permanent arch lately….
I'm pretty sure I didn't even have hair until I was 2 years old, and, even then, it was pretty fine and wispy until I was at least 8. (Poor little JB is showing signs of wispies, not his Daddy's thick hair.) Girlfriend's got plenty of years ahead of her to thicken her locks with products and blow outs.
Like, I can't even. First, other than North West, what toddler do you know carrying a Burberry handbag. Second, what is middle ground from Gucci? Coach, Kate Spade, Tory Burch? Things I didn't have until I was an adult with my own money? Thank goodness enough people had the sanity to ask "17 months or 17 years"? (but, sadly, the poster clarified this was for her toddler…)
Now, these two ladies above are asking in all sincerity, so I try not to judge (too much). But, the below posts are just snarky. Snar-ky.
I don't need any lip for jumping on a good deal. In fact, most of what I buy off the Exchange is less than $10. Last week, I scored a reversible Ralph Lauren puffer vest for JB in EUC (lingo for 'excellent used condition') - only EIGHT BUCKS. Now, I'm all about donating (and rarely sell things myself, preferring Good Will or shelters), but don't be a hater because business savvy Mamas in the neighborhood are trying to make a few bucks! Or save a few bucks!
I had been protecting the innocent by redacting pictures / names from the other posts, but this one required me to show names/faces to help you better understand the dialogue. Poor Elisa. I sort of want to put "I love Figo, too!" so she doesn't feel too badly!
I have always wanted to have a neighbor, just like you. I've always wanted to live in the neighborhood, with you; so...
-----------------------------------------------------------------
** A place where you can post questions and seek ideas from your friends and neighbors? Does that exist? It will…soon…and I can't wait to share the details with everyone. Get excited. :)

















So many have my SMH!! Especially that purse one and the woman trying to sell a frozen costume for $150!! Who spends that much money on a costume????????????
ReplyDeleteHaaaaaa...wait, so you think it's strange that Millie's closet is full of Gucci and Burberry?? Duly noted; I'll try to feature her mostly with her low-end clothing and accessories in the future... This is hilarious and I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve!!
ReplyDelete