Monday, January 13, 2014

Shaking Things Up!

Maybe it's just the normal case of the Januarys, but we were very ambitious this weekend.  Lots of bold plays and changes to kick off 2014.

It all started on Friday evening during my hair appointment, when I decided I needed something different.  James was very clear that I was not to come home with a "mom cut", but that was the only advice I got from him. After chatting with my stylist, we decided some red low lights would be fun.  And they are!!

Do Reds have more fun?

Then, on Saturday, we realized that our teeny tiny newborn is, well, not really a newborn anymore! Where does the time go??  We decided to get out the Bumbo since JB tries to sit up in your lap. He's not quite ready, but he will be soon.

What the....

While we were at it, the decision was made to convert his stroller from the newborn bassinet to the semi-reclined seat.  I about died when I saw him in it - he looked so big!! And then James went and found his hospital hat in the bassinet.  Major emotional break down by Mama.  Stop growing up so fast, James Benjamin!!

I don't trust these two clowns...


Since JB was strapped in to his new big boy stroller, we took advantage of the crazy sunny weather (after a torrential downpour that morning) to stroll the neighborhood.  I remembered that our neighborhood wine shop had sent out an email about a free tasting in the afternoon, so we conveniently strolled that direction to try out some reds.  (All French, so James was not too pleased.)


Move to Sunday, when we got REALLY bold and went to church.  Now, confession, we have not been to our church since JB was born. (We did go to church several times in Waco, but with my family there were multiple reinforcements to make us feel better). To say we were nervous was an understatement.  JB is quite a fussy little rascal, and can go from happy to full on screams in a matter of seconds (way quicker than we could escape a pew!) Just trying to get prepared and out of the house was stressful. Way too many foul words were said that morning for a Sunday (and on the way to church, for crying out loud), but we managed to get out of the car right when little JB fell asleep. And he proceeded to sleep through the entire service.  Yea! It was a great sermon, wonderful to see our church family, and I think we have a little more confidence for future Sundays.  Perhaps we will try the nursery soon, although I worry more about the poor nursery workers than JB.)  :)


Lastly, Sunday night James shocked me at a dinner party by trying - and liking - Malaysian food.  When I heard the menu our friends were preparing, I was a bit nervous about the ole hubby.  Even my adventurous palate is a little iffy on Malaysian, but it ended up being delicious.  


Look at the Sassers, shaking things up this January.  As people who hate change (me), don't do well through transitions (me), don't do anything spontaneous (me again), and don't eat ethnic things (that one is James), we surprised even ourselves this weekend!

2 comments:

  1. What a fun weekend!!! Love the hair...and I have no idea what Malaysian food even entails, but WTG trying it!!

    ReplyDelete