Let me back up and explain why we even had to do Bottle Bootcamp. If you remember from one of my early updates, I mentioned that JB took his first bottle like a champ at Week 2. We proceeded to give him a bottle a day, and he proceeded to not be bothered how he got his milk (just as long as someone was feeding him on a regular, frequent schedule). Then we hit Week 5, when all hell broke loose, and JB decided to go on a nursing strike and scream bloody murder when I tried to feed him. Cue MAJOR FREAK OUT by Mama, removal of all bottles from his sight, lots of calls with the lactation consultant, and fears that my little newborn was already weaning. The lactation consultants suggested he had nipple confusion^, and that with a lot of skin-to-skin bonding and on-demand breastfeeding I could get him right back on the boob.
It wasn't until a week later when another lactation consultant/RN said, "I think this poor baby has reflux". Sure enough, he wasn't weaning - he was in pain! We got confirmation from our pediatrician, who sent me home with some prescriptions and a warning that we should get those bottles back out before he forgot that he liked them.
But it was too late.
Not only did he forget that he liked them, he decided that he hated them. We tried everything that they advise on the subject, from different bottles, to different people feeding him, to feeding him with a piece of my clothing around the bottle, etc. Our sweet friends all brought over their favorite bottle types in hopes it would trigger a positive response. But it progressively got worse and worse until he just wouldn't take one sip from anything. Oh, and would scream like a wild banshee if someone even tried.
![]() |
| Stop trying to force bottles on me, you clowns. |
Thus, Bottle Bootcamp 2014 took place this weekend. Only bottles for 48 hours. Mama was closed up for business (well, to the little guy at least - my pump and I were constant companions), and Daddy was armed with his nerves of steel.
First bottle, WAAAAAAAH. James got maybe an ounce in him before the little guy just passed out from pure exhaustion. Second bottle came from me, and....what do you know...HE ATE THE ENTIRE THING! The rest of our weekend was pretty much a mixture of JB liking his bottle* and JB putting up a fight before reluctantly taking his bottle. (Only a few times did he say "No Way, Jose" and skip a meal.)
![]() |
| Why are you doing this to me!? |
![]() |
| Whatevs, you win. |
Based on the fact that our child did not starve AND there were not as many tears from JB (or Mama) as anticipated, I declare Bottle Bootcamp 2014** a success! What's more, he still took a bottle from the nanny (on the second attempt), even after I nursed him this morning. Here's hoping this positive trend continues - Yea!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
^ I know nipple confusion is a real thing and make no claims to have a lot of lactation expertise. However, I feel like experts should warn about reverse nipple confusion, too!
* JB decided that the Born Free is the most tolerable bottle. Not a problem, of course, except for the fact we only have 2 of those, amongst the 45 other bottles in the drawer. But I'm not complaining
** Our goal is that there will be no Bottle Bootcamp 2015, 2017, etc. Next baby(ies) will get a bottle every single day, starting at Week 2 - before they get out of that go-with-the-flow newborn phase and realize they have strong opinions about such things.

















I'm glad the bottle won here!! Poor yall...I bet that was really tough 'making' him cry so much!! I'm glad he gave in pretty quickly, though. Hunger always wins, I guess? :)
ReplyDeleteBless his heart! My mom always says that I NEVER took a bottle, so I'm glad he's gone easier on you! Hope going back to work isn't too hard on you!
ReplyDeleteYay! For taking a bottle from the nanny!!
ReplyDelete