Sunday, January 19, 2014

My Poor Little Pace Dog

My Atlanta Half marathon training is going well, thank goodness! I was a little worried that my body would not enjoy my progressively longer runs after a year of walks.  I am up to 16 miles a week, with a 6 mile long run.  One more week at 6 miles, then I move up to 7.  Historically, that is always my hardest one mile leap - I don't know why, but 7 always seems (and feels) so much harder than 6. Then every mile after 7 doesn't really feel like that big of a deal. Weird.

My running partner, however, is less than enthused about our long Sunday runs up and down Peachtree.  When I get out the orange running leash, she will usually sneak off to her crate.  Enda is a vizsla, for crying out loud - one of the best long distance running breeds out there!!  A little lazy when it comes to structured exercise (might take after her Daddy on that one...) :)

Just a quick jog?  I don't trust you, Mom...
I can't tell if she's distracted, nervous, or just tired of running, but she turns into the worse pace dog ever on our longer runs. On the way out, I practically drag her behind me.  It's like running with a dang headwind, regardless of the weather.  She'd keep us at 15 minute miles if she could.  (Well, or just turn us around to head home if she had her preference.)

Then, once we start to run back, girlfriend turns part Jamaican and tries for 7 minute splits. If I start to hang back (to maintain our reasonable 9:30 pace) she begins to drag me along. Now, I don't let her do this because 1) she needs to remember to heel to the alpha dog (ie. me), and, 2) I have protect her from the morons who forget to look right when turning onto Peachtree.  Needless to say, it's a little bit of a battle for a few miles of our run.

Quit slacking, Mom!
Finally at around mile 4 or 5, she decides that maybe she does enjoy running and will trot along my side the rest of the route. But by that point, it's too late - I am a little annoyed with my pace dog and vowing not to take her with me again.  

Worst pace dog ever
Of course I will, though, because how can you not love that face. She keeps me company and encourages me to keep up the running. (Plus, dragging her along for an hour will usually get her crazies out for at least a day or two.  Totally worth it!!)

(Just in case people believe this is animal cruelty, please note that our vet says she can easily run up to 10 miles with good training. We were very careful to not start her running until after her first birthday, and have increased her mileage gradually.  Her breed has incredible speed and stamina.  In fact, after running 6 miles today, she then proceeded to run 15mph crazy eights in our backyard! 

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha...my runs are much shorter and probably a lot slower these days (I quit tracking anything!!), but this made me laugh. With each run, I vow never to take Aggie with me again. It drives me crazy because I try to get her to potty before we leave, but she'll refuse, then proceed to do it in the first quarter mile. Grrr....but, she's my pal and she gets so excited to go with me! (c:

    ReplyDelete