Since I had the day off AND childcare for the day, I informed James last week to pencil me in for a little Day Date. (Poor James still had to work - too much exciting stuff happening with GovStrive to slack for even a day!) I really enjoy daytime dates because 1) I'm not as sleepy, and 2) they seem so novel when you're both somewhat workaholics.
Since I knew I had a very small window of time with James, I had to line up something very exciting and entertaining. We tossed around the idea of a movie, but, seriously, I'm way too sleep deprived. Why shell out $30 when we can nap at home for free, ya know? A nice restaurant is pretty much off the table right now since I can't eat dairy. Although I'm totally committed to this for the sake of JB's tummy, I'm currently having horrendous cravings for something creamy and buttery and cheesy. I don't know if I can be trusted...
Fortunately for both of us, I remembered something that I've been dying to try - FOOT MASSAGES! My stylist has been bragging about a place up on Buford Highway for years, and this seemed like the perfect opportunity to try it. For those of you not familiar with Atlanta, the Buford Highway area is either completely sketchy or completely wonderful, depending on your sense of adventure and taste for ethnic food. We head that way quite a bit to eat and to grocery shop at the international markets, so you can tell we fall in that latter camp. James was a little leery when I suggested a foot massage in the same shopping center where one can get Halal meat, buy nail salon supplies, and prepare their taxes, but curious enough that he went for it.
As expected on Buford Highway, the place was just a tiny bit suspicious from the outside. Well and maybe the inside too (dark with rows of fluffy chaise loungers lined up next to each other). But who could argue with the price - $25 for an entire hour!! James and I didn't hesitate one bit to curl up in their (hopefully clean) chairs and prepare to be pampered.
First they soak your feet, then they start to work on your toes, heels, insteps, and ankles. Some lower leg work and calf massages follow.
Just in case you're not 100% drowsy during all of this, they provide free entertainment. Because nothing says "relaxation" like watching an SVU episode.
![]() |
| Crack the Case, Olivia! |
I was so proud of my husband - only MINIMAL email checking during the whole experience.
"One hour" is a little misleading because they only spend 45 minutes on your feet. The other time is spent on a head/neck massage, which, frankly, I could do without. Why, you ask? First, I have a sensitive scalp and hate people pulling on my hair. Second, I had just spent 20 minutes drying my hair with a round brush and everything. As soon as he put his greased up hands on my temples I thought "well I sure as heck can't go until Thursday without washing my hair now..." That's certainly not relaxing. But then he started massaging my ears and I forgot about everything else. Next time I'll tell them to keep it to the feet, ears and NO MORE.
After the foot massage, I asked James if he had time for Pho - to which he replied with his favorite joke, "pho sure!" (HAHA/eye roll.) Despite the fact there must be 50 Vietnamese places on Buford Hwy, we went to the same one we always do.
![]() |
| Formally known as Pho 79. Now it's all fancy, schmancy |
James surprised me after a couple more hours of work calls by treating me to one more little date - a yogurt shop. Now, before you think he was taunting me with some fro yo, don't feel too bad because I tore into one of their vegan cookies as if it were covered in butter and cheese. (Didn't even miss the dairy it was so darn good!)
![]() |
| The Sassers - Full and Relaxed |
I couldn't think of a better way to spend my holiday than with my honey on a Day Date.
Except maybe a family walk with the other two members of our crew, which we also did later that evening.
![]() |
| Love my kiddos |
It was really a great day. Lots of love. Lots of relaxing. Can we repeat MLK day next Monday??





















OMG!!!!!!!!!!! Your Day Date is like...living my dream. How have I never heard of this magical foot massage place??!?! PLEASE can we meet up there sometime soon? I love the idea of Buford Hwy but have never explored it much. I really feel like I'm going to need to move that to the top of my bucket list and I nominate YOU to help me accomplish it. And Amanda is going to come too. MARK MY WORDS.
ReplyDeleteIf you keep submitting well written articles just like this then I will always keep returning back to your blog. Really good material.
ReplyDeleteColor correction Buford
Color correction Suwanee