I was doing a little calculation in my head to figure out how long we've known Jennifer... (I know James has known Jeremy for umpteen years and I met Jeremy back in 2006 when I joined the Forest Service Project). This led me on a little trip down memory lane via my iPhoto albums, where I found some cute pictures from way back when (definitely pre-blog):
Our first time meeting Jennifer, New Year's 2009. From the start we loved her and said "she's a catch, Jeremy - hang on to her!!" (This also began my crush on her cute little long-haired chihuahua, Tia)

I remember at the lake that New Year's, Jennifer convinced me I could definitely do a half-marathon (and that she would do it with me) We signed up on Jeremy's iPhone (this was waaaaay before the Sassers had migrated from their blackberries to something so fancy), and I thought that was the coolest thing ever.
Anyway, so March 2010 came around and Jennifer kept her word. We ran the Atlanta ING half marathon and had a blast doing it. The time wasn't half bad either, considering it was rainy and cold for most of the race. Oh, and Atlanta has a heck of a lot of hills. (After running the the half that morning, I had an overnight flight to Berlin that evening . Yea, that was sure fun and not uncomfortable at all. But I digress....)
Then, of course, in January 2011 the boys joined us for another half marathon down in Miami, which I blogged all about here.
These are only a few of the pictures that I found from the past 3 years - lots of great times at the lake, concerts here in Atlanta, runs through different cities. Lots of adventure. However, this weekend was more about just hanging out, checkin out the new digs, and, of course, taking baby girl her handmade baby afghan.
I did not capture any pictures of the house but it. was. gorgeous. Jennifer does an unbelievable job of mixing beautiful, unique antiques with new finds. We already have a deal that when the little one is old enough she needs to come swooping with me in Atlanta. I need her help!! Antique marts, estate sales - watch out!
We did a little exploring through the city and I had some time to take out my camera. The downtown was such that I thought B&W served the scenery well - nicely preserved with cobble stone streets and brick facades. (This Peanut Depot was, unfortunately, closed, or I probably would have had a whole post about how many peanut products my husband bought that day...)
We also drove up to Red Mountain for some nice views of the city, as well as a perfect view of the Vulcan. I can't remember the specific fact - and y'all know I don't want to lie on the blog - but I believe that Alabama might produce the most iron ore in all of the US. Is that right? Does another State want to protest?

That night for dinner, we went to a fabulous restaurant that focuses on local food and ingredients. I love how that is becoming a new trend in cuisine. Almost as much as I love how much pork - or, more importantly, pork products - are becoming such a hot trend. Can you believe that for an appetizer we got homemade pork skins with truffle oil!? This was like a delicacy for both of the Sassers!
While I'm on it: another trend I'm loving is the rise of Pisco (and Pisco Sours) in the US. Chile and Peru are definitely on the ball, marketing-wise, because it's rare you don't see the South American liquor making it's way on a menu these days. Love it.
All in all, we had a FABULOUS time in Birmingham hanging out with our friends. Whether we were window shopping in Homewoods, eating pork rinds from a plate instead of a bag, attending a fabulous worship service thanks to Apple TV, or just catching up and laughing about old times, it was such a great time and I can't wait to do it again soon! Next time, with little baby girl King!

















No comments:
Post a Comment