I love banana bread.
Well, and pumpkin bread. Okay,
let’s just say I love any type of quick bread.
(Quick bread defined as a bread that doesn’t require rising and kneading
– I haven’t mastered that yet!)
It takes a lot for me to commit to a recipe and use it as my
“go to” for a bread. I just like to
experiment until I find that perfect one.
Dare say that I found that perfect one for Banana Bread?
I don’t know where this originally came from, but I got it from
a quick Google search of “banana bread” and “Greek yogurt”. (I’m all about adding Greek yogurt to just
about anything I can, due to the no fat / high protein properties.) I tried to Pin this for future reference from
this website,
but Pinterest is having trouble finding an appropriate image. Ah, technology… never works when you need it
to.
So, I figure I’ll just post the recipe to my blog and pin it from there. Is that legal? Unfortunately, I am not a food photographer - my kitchen just has terrible lighting that even my good lens can't work with. Don't get too underwhelmed by the pictures - I promise the bread is good!
So, I figure I’ll just post the recipe to my blog and pin it from there. Is that legal? Unfortunately, I am not a food photographer - my kitchen just has terrible lighting that even my good lens can't work with. Don't get too underwhelmed by the pictures - I promise the bread is good!
Banana Bread
(From Yummly.com and Food.com, originally posted by
OzzieFoodie - gotta give credit!)
Ingredients
- 3 banana (smashed)
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 2 1/2 tbsp melted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- semi sweet chocolate chips (optional)
Preparation Steps:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Mix smashed bananas and
yogurt together into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix melted butter into the
bananas.
- Mix in the beaten egg,
vanilla then sugar.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon,
salt and baking soda over the mixture and mix.
- Add the flour in last, a
little at a time, mixing after each addition. Mix in chocolate chips, if using
- Spray a 4×8 inch loaf pan
with PAM then pour mixture into pan.
- Bake for approximately 45
minutes until a sharp knife inserted vertically through the middle of the
loaf comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack.
Let’s talk about why I love this recipe. First, the yogurt makes it extremely
moist. There is zero oil and very little
butter (by this Southerner’s standards), so you don’t feel bad about having a
piece or two (or ten.) If you're lazy like I was, you can just use the pre-measured yogurt cups. (Mine had honey in them, so I decreased the sugar by a little bit).
Next, I love the simplicity of the preparation. No need for two bowls where you separately mix dry and wet ingredients. In this recipe, you simply add ingredients to the same bowl, mixing between each addition. Great!
Next, I love the simplicity of the preparation. No need for two bowls where you separately mix dry and wet ingredients. In this recipe, you simply add ingredients to the same bowl, mixing between each addition. Great!
It does call for three ripe bananas, which seems like a
lot. Usually I only have 2 on hand,
unless I purposefully plan for banana bread. (I had three before I took the picture - promise!)
Everyone knows that really gross bananas make the best
banana bread. If you’re wondering how
these bananas are so black, let me fill you in on a little secret that I
believe came from Mrs. Debbie Caswell (mother-in-law to this great gal). When they are starting to get those brown
spots, pop them in the freezer. When
you’re ready to make the bread, take them out and they will very quickly finish
ripening and blacken during the thawing process. Works like a charm! And keeps you from allowing them to get all
gross on your counter. (And your husband
from saying "YUCK, can we throw these bananas away yet!?”)
It calls for one large loaf pan, but I’ve had success with
using my mini loaf pans for around 25 - 30 mins. Only made three which is annoying…why not four, grrr?
See, makes the perfect little gift to take over to neighbors and finally introduce yourself after 1.5 years of living next door…. ;) Which is how I used these little yummy quick breads.













Ooooh...I just pinned this! I can't wait to try it. I have wanted to get into the whole greek yogurt craze, but have only tried it a handful of times. I can't do it by itself, but it's pretty good in recipes! Do you have any other recipes you love it in?! Thanks for the shout out, too! (c:
ReplyDelete