Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Sunday Afternoon in Paris

Sunday morning I landed in Paris, France for a weeklong workshop with our European, African, and Middle Eastern markets.  (Same workshop as the one a week prior that I participated in with our North and South American teams).  Since I met with all of our Asia Pacific country teams in March, this rounds out my extreme global networking for 2016. I love it!!

And I love France.  The country, the culture, the people (minus rude Parisian cafe staff).  I hate that my excitement was mixed with fear and concern after the Nice terrorist attack two days before (plus numerous attacks prior).  Paris is a place to openly explore and enjoy!  Not hide away in a hotel to avoid being caught in the next potential crossfire. Although I have the responsibility as a wife and mother to keep myself as safe as I can, I also thoroughly believe in living life with confidence and trust in God (and humanity).  With caution, awareness, and vigilance, I dropped my bags upon arrival and headed out into the streets.  

First stop - a cafe for croque monsieurs. One of my favorite sandwiches of all times.  Let the bread binge begin...


Next we started our walk from our neighborhood to Notre Dame, about miles from the hotel.  The sun was out, and the temps were high.  



People filled the parks and lounged (and drank) in the grass.  We walked along the outskirts (avoiding crowds, part of the guidance from our Global Security team), but still could enjoy the views. 





The last time I visited France (2011), Notre Dame was under heavy scaffolding.  This time I saw it in its full glory. Such an impressive structure!  





So of course I had to selfie the moment.  :)  I was the only tourist there without a selfie stick.  


All that walking made us thirsty.  Rose for the win!  And what a creative way to chill it.


After walking along the Seine (and getting excited about planned river boat cruises this week), we headed over to the Louve.  Once again I did not actually enter it, only admiring from afar.  (I keep saying one day I will actually go inside, but need days to do so.  I've never had free days in France, sadly, but it's on my list of future adventures!)




I don't take this opportunity to be in one of the world's most famous cities for granted.  I know my family (slightly concerned back home) appreciates any and all prayers for my safety.  And I do, too, of course, although I don't dwell too much on the risk, less I miss out on the experience.  

No comments:

Post a Comment