At 1:30am, Enda jumped out of bed and ran to the door. While we were still trying to wake up, the doorbell rang. James cautiously got out of bed, made sure the alarm was set, and peered out the window. He came back to report that there was a young couple kissing on our porch, and they would probably realize they were at the wrong house soon.
But they didn't! The doorbell starting ringing over and over again, and then cue the banging on the windows. Enda was going CRAZY, so James calmly opened the door (leaving the storm door closed and locked, of course) to make sure all was okay. The gal was very, VERY convinced this was their friend's house, and demanded entrance. James was clear it wasn't. Her boyfriend (we assume) takes off around the house and I hear him (from the master bedroom, where I was pacing) open the side gate and run around to the back. James locks the door again, resets the alarm, and tells me to call the police. So I dialed 911 for the first time in my life.
The 911operator dispatched the police, the boyfriend kept trying to find an entry point, Enda continued to go biserk, and girlfriend sat down in a rocker on the front porch to patiently wait. In all seriousness, she sat and rocked like she hadn't a care in the world. (Although I obviously don't know for sure, I assume she was a teensy bit drunk.)
It felt like FOREVER, but the police arrived about 6 minutes later. This city is swarming with law enforcement during the day, but I guess they don't hang out in our 'hood at night (maybe this should make me feel better?) We opened the door to tell one officer the situation, while the second officer retrieved lover boy from the backyard. These two were still quite convinced their friends lived in our house, wanting the police to go in and check. James (politely, with very few curse words) let them know that was not an option. The girl looked at James incredulously (from the rocking chair) and said "why are you doing this to us??" Oh dear God….
After way more discussion than should have been required, we went to bed and the officers promised to take these crazies with them or to their (legitimate, as in stated on their driver's license) home. Just as long as they didn't ask to go to their "friend's house" we were fine with that. Looking back it was quite comical (though at the time the adrenaline was running pretty high.)
So not sure what happened to those two. I hope they woke up at the station so they were forced to think "what the #%^* did I do last night?"














OMG!! So glad that James was home and it wasn't a night when he was traveling. I would have freaked out. What was the boyfriend doing in the back till the cops got there?
ReplyDeleteThat is insane!! I'm glad it was a relatively harmless situation and I suppose that's the best scenario you can hope for in a "break-in" situation... but geez. I agree - hopefully they woke up the next morning and realized what morons they were!
ReplyDeleteHa!! Oh my gosh, that is just too funny/weird!! I love that she just enjoyed your porch furniture while waiting on the cops to come pick her up...
ReplyDelete