Wednesday, April 1, 2015

First Swimming Lessons

JB started swimming lessons last month, and so far so good!  Considering the fact that he has refused baths and showers the past three weeks (and by "refused" I mean kicks and screams and clings and totally loses it), I'm quite surprised how much he likes the pool.

This is totally a Daddy-led activity. It will be a while before they can bond over other things that James wants to introduce - hunting, fishing, golf clubs, etc - but this they can do this together.   A big thanks to James in advance for letting me post these pictures of the two of them.  :)


I hesitate to call these "lessons" as JB is hardly learning how to swim. The class is mostly about being comfortable with the water and getting your face wet (which 90% of the kiddos in the class still hate).  From the sidelines, I am always cracking up when they sing "If you're happy and you know it put your ears in the water."  None of the kids are happy with that part of the song.

Now blowing bubbles in the water they like.





They also practice getting in and out of the pool.  Look, I can barely do that successfully, so I cut JB a lot of slack that he still needs Dad to hoist him in and out.



From there they practice jumping in.  I'd rather they skip this whole part because I'm quite okay with JB not knowing how to jump in a pool!!



He particularly likes the part where he and Dad glide through the water.  Except when water gets in his face.  He's not such a fan of water in the face.



But his favorite part of the whole class is when they get out the plastic balls and pails - all boy, this one.




We're so happy that JB enjoys the water.  Hopefully over the next several years he'll gain some good stroke skills, too.  Plus, it guarantees that this boy is clean once a week!  Hopefully all that chlorine washes off a lot of germs. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment