Usually he spends quite a few minutes collecting sticks. Then he turns his attention to the big kid playground. So much anxiety!! I realize it's not super tall (and I don't even let him go on the even taller parts!) but for my little guy it IS too tall. He just doesn't believe me.
Fortunately he was staying on the little bridge yesterday (which is the lowest part), and having a grand old time until some older kids (like 4 year olds) joined. He tried to run after them, bumped into one as they turned around, and then, AAAAAH, I saw him stumble, fall and slip through the rails!!!! Pure panic!!!!! I dove to catch him (obviously I was right there the whole time) and managed to slow his fall, but he still landed face first on the ground. We sat there for a few seconds and cried (together!) until JB popped his little head up and pointed, asking me to put him back on the bridge. Then he acted like nothing happened. I declared "NEVER AGAIN" to the big kid playground, and carted him over to the other side. Where he played happily the next 20 minutes and I tried to emotionally recover.
A dad (wearing scrubs) showed up to join his family, and the sweet mom* asked me if she'd like him (a doctor) to check us out. JB's face was scratched up from the mulch, and I didn't realize I had a bleeding knee. He quickly said all looked good, "superficial" and said to take the fact my child was running around and squealing as a good sign. (Also, this morning, you can't see but one little scratch - no long term physical damage.)
JB quickly seemed to forget about the incident, pointing and asking for the other playground up until we left. Glad someone can forget, because this will haunt me forever.
*This sweet gal was the ONLY one who acknowledged the fall and tried to help. She even pulled out some wipes and a bandaid for me. Either it didn't appear as big of deal as I imagined (very possible), or the other people lacked some serious empathy. Hopefully not the latter - I like to think better of people!















Aww poor guy!! Glad there was a doctor there, though- super convenient!!
ReplyDelete