![]() |
| Two traumatized patients |
First, cats rarely - if ever - get heart worms. Of course I don't have her on prevention because, well, she's a cat, and completely indoors. She sometimes lounges on the deck, but I didn't think about the risks of mosquitos. Second, she's had the heart worm symptoms for many years - wheezing, coughing, snoring, etc. The vet says the life of a heart worm is approximately 2 years, but I can't recall a time that Lupe breathed like a normal cat - it's been more like 10 years, not 2. It makes me wonder when this all really began? And, lastly, there is no treatment or cure (for a cat). What they use for dogs with heart worms has very adverse side effects for a cat. So we wait it out.
I honestly can't tell if I should be worried. Both my DVM Vet and Dr. Google Vet confirm there is nothing to do but make them comfy, think positive, and hope they survive (???). Both seem to think that she could live 10 more years or, as they put it online, "die a sudden death".
I am not sure if it's related to her newly diagnosed illness, but Lupe has become much more affectionate lately. She sits with me on the couch, and sleeps on top of me in the bed. (Considering the fact that Enda sleeps beside me, under the covers, in the bed, our Queen size bed is quite cramped.) I try to shield her from Enda's crazy antics, and James's harsh treatment. Poor baby girl doesn't need the stress. :(














Nothing like a pet illness to remind us that these animals were once our babies :( hang in there, Lupe!
ReplyDeleteAww..I'm so sorry, that's awful!! Poor Lupe!!
ReplyDelete