Monday, April 7, 2014

A Really Great Day

Sunday was a really good day.  Like, a really, really, REALLY great day.  And it's not like we did anything exciting, but James and I still went to bed last night saying "wow, great day".  Even the things that tried to derail it (I'm looking at you, evil yellow pollen) couldn't dampen our spirits.

Here's a run down on what made it so fantastic:
  • JB took a great morning nap, which allowed Mama time to, first, recover from being out until 1:30AM (bachelorette party) and, second, complete her non-medicated netti-pot / steam shower routine to combat the evil pollen.
  • We were only 1 minute late for church (due to the fact I had to iron JB's teeny tiny button down shirt.  First world problems.)  The sermon was so good that James and I both found ourselves scribbling notes on the Mini Methodists (i.e. kids' ) notepad in the pews.  The nursery workers did not once have to page us because JB had fun playing and snoozing the entire service.  No tears this week, yea!! 
  • After church we hit up the cheap, take out pho place.  JB cooperated and practiced drinking out of my water cup.  We left and I vowed never to eat there again, just like I always do.  (But, hey, if cheap, less-than-stellar pho is the worst part of the day, we did something right.)
Bad Pho, Good Boys
  • Early afternoon JB took a nap like a champ.  Two and a half hours of great sleep!  And this meant that Mama and Dad got a nap, too - HEAVEN.  Afterwards, James and I made a conscious decision to lounge on the couch and watch the History channel instead of executing our to-do list.  Best decision ever. 
  • In the late afternoon, we headed to Ikea to look at something for James' new office.  JB hung out in the k'tan and smiled at everyone.  The cinnamon rolls were hot and delicious, and JB (accidentally) got his first taste of sugar when he grabbed the cinnamon roll wrapper.  I never knew babies had such strength until I tried to pull his chubby little hands out of his mouth.  Let's just say that JB would probably be interested in purees if I would blend up that cinnamon roll.
Yea for Sugar!
  • In the evening, JB tried - AND LOVED - sweet potatoes!  Loved them so much that he ate an entire bowl, and then proceeded to lick the remnants off his tray.  He has not been a fan of "real food", but this - plus cinnamon roll icing - might just turn him around.  
Get in my belly!
Just one more bite...
  • James and I got in some quality time in the evening as we prepped (pre-cooked, pre-chopped, cleaned, sorted mail, put up laundry, paid bills, etc) for the week. The fact that we're also prepped for the week meant sleeping well on Sunday night.  Which we did. …since JB slept from 8PM - 7AM.  HOLLA!  
So, a lot of little mundane, simple things made it a fabulous day, with all of JB's giggles and laughing and affection scattered in.  This is really such a fun age.  James asked me last night the "highlight" of the day and it wasn't even one of the above events.  Just being together as our little family of three was the special part. I love these boys of mine.




3 comments:

  1. The sweet potato licking photo... I died. That's one to save for his Senior yearbook. : )

    I have to admit that I smiled at how many times your GREAT weekend had to do with sleep. Jennie, I think you might be chronically tired. : ) Glad you got some rest and had a fun weekend with your boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those days are the best!! Great way to start the week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome day!! And I'm with Amanda- save that sweet potato licking picture for the yearbook!! But definitely skip out the unstellar pho next time. Life's too short for that. ;)

    ReplyDelete