Thursday, April 10, 2014

A Day in the Life - Part II

I did a post a while back on maternity leave with teeny tiny JB that documented our "normal" day.  Now that I have a growing, 6 month JB and am back to work full time, I wanted to capture what our "normal" day looks like now. (I feel the need to always use quotes around normal , because, seriously, what is normal when you have an infant?)

A Day in the Life of 6 month old JB and His Mama (+ Daddy)

Approximately 30 minutes into Wednesday (12:32AM) JB woke up crying.  The past 5 nights he's gone a full 11 hours (minus Monday night when he was back up at 4AM), so we decide to let him cry and try to self soothe.  Fortunately he does and is back out in about 7 minutes.   So, I'll start my day with his next wake up...

5:30AM: James gets up to read the paper, and JB decides he's awake, too.  I lie in bed and ponder this dilemma.  When he wakes up after 7 (ideal), he's super happy. When he wakes up between 6 and 7, he's a total Cranky Pants. I can only imagine what a 530 wake up will do to the poor guy. I go in and change a (sticky- thanks sweet potatoes!)  diaper while JB stages a massive protest.  He then nurses as if he's been starved for days, and (thankfully) goes back to sleep. I return to bed at 615, even though I know my alarm will go off at 630.  I decide it's worth it.

6:30AM: James heads to the gym while I get up and get ready. Although I work from home, today I have a meeting via webcam with some senior level folks. This means actual make up, hair styling, and a professional top/jewelry that will go with my black yoga pants.  I also stick my oatmeal boat (that I make in advance on Sundays) in the oven. 

7:00AM: My first meeting of the day. Since James is at the gym (at my encouragement - he didn't abandon us) and Nanny Y doesn't get here until 8, I take the video monitor to my office and hope the munchkin continues to sleep.  These early calls are pretty common since I'm in a global role, and I am quite accustomed to trying to sound coherent and chipper at 6 or 7 in the morning.  

7:20AM: I see open eyes on the monitor!! I put the call on speakerphone and run grab JB and a few toys.

"Mornin', Mama!"
He's very content to hang out with me in my office and listen to exciting updates on our project portfolio.  He also mutes/unmutes the phone several times as he slams his little hands onto the keypad.    I feed him again at 745 to try and keep him on his "normal" schedule that he's already intent to derail today. :)

"I approve this project."
8:00AM: I hand the little guy over to Nanny Y, give her a rundown of his morning so far (sleep, diaper, food situation), kiss James (who is doing his "chores" - dishwasher, bed, etc) good morning, grab my (now baked) oatmeal boat from the oven, and run back upstairs for my next meeting.  It's via webcam so I also take the time to apply lipstick - critical.

8:00 - 10:00AM: Emails, calls, and normal work stuff (me).  Play, play, play (JB), until it's nap time around 945.  Even though my office is upstairs, I hear every time that Nanny Y puts JB down for his siesta because he hollers the moment you zip up his sleep sack.  Only for a second, but poor guy is just not a fan of napping.  

10:00AM: I run back downstairs to sort out all the bottle/pump mayhem on the Boon drying rack.  Then it's time to pump.  Yeaaaaaa (sarcasm).  Fortunately, no call at this time so I can pump without the fear of being found out.  I also eat my first (of many) snacks of the day: boiled eggs with S&P.

Think we could use another drying rack? 
1:00PM: I've been on back to back to back calls, and could eat off my left arm at this point. I also have to pump again, so I take 5 minutes to heat up some food (a quinoa dish), make a salad, grab the pump parts, and head back upstairs.  Nanny Y and the little guy are walking so, sadly, I don't get to say hi.  I eat and pump and type all at the same time - it's really a shame no one can see this impressive set up (don't worry, no pictures to follow).

2:15PM: After a quick chat with a colleague, I realize I don't have another call until 3PM. And that I haven't been outside ALL DAY. And that Enda is whining and acting crazy.  So I quickly throw on some running clothes and shoes, then drag Enda outside.  We complete a quick 2.75 mile jog around the neighborhood,  I take a quick shower, say "hi" and kiss my little munchkin (who's playing downstairs), and I'm back at my desk in time for my next call.  Whew.

Having fun!
(Since it's Spring Break, Nanny Y has brought her daughter over for the week.  He has so much fun with her! I think he would rather us give him a big sister than a younger sibling in a few years.)

5:07PM:  My last meeting has run over time, so I fly down the stairs so that Nanny Y can start her trek home to her family. JB is bouncing (his favorite) and I get some wonderful "Hi Mama!" smiles (my favorite).

He's only taken two 30 minute naps all afternoon, but doesn't seem to be a Cranky Pants at the moment.  I let him bounce for a bit while I start to pick up, wash dishes, etc.  Once he begins to protest the confinement of the Jumper, we quickly nurse before I wrap him up in the k'tan to start our errands.

Go time!
5:45PM: Nearly every day we go for a walk.  Half the time we stroll the neighborhood with Enda, and the other days we walk up to the little neighborhood shopping center for something.  Today, we needed to go to Rite Aid (prescription) and Publix Supermarket (a few items I forgot on Sunday.)  Both of these shops know us by name, so JB gets a lot of attention.  He eats it up.

JB wanted to take a selfie.
On the way back, we run into our neighbors.  While chatting on the sidewalk, more neighbors come out to say hi.  Before we head home, there are neighbors from five houses chatting away, even though we're all going to see each other on Sunday at our neighbor get together.  This is why I love our street!

6:50PM:  Time for some solids!  Today we try apples, and JB is NOT a fan.  He has a few bites and decides that apples are for the birds.  He seems very perturbed that I'm denying him his favorite food (sweet potatoes) while preparing some for our dinner - right in front him.

7:00PM:  Daddy's home!!  While I'm stripping down a sticky boy, James comes in and JB's face lights up.  It's way too sweet - this little guy just loves his Dad! 


Yea for Dad!
After some cuddles with Dad, it's bath time.  I crank up the heater, turn on some Pandora (Glee Cast Radio, don't judge), and JB splashes in the water.

7:30PM: As part of the nighttime routine, we try and read a book. Sometimes JB is interested, but other times he'd rather just eat the book or eat (in general).  Tonight we get in one book before he's ready to nurse.  I then turn on Pandora again, this time Relaxation radio.  We do this every night. We are extreme creatures of habit.

Reading "Me Gusta Cuando" to my bebe bilingue
7:50PM:  JB has nursed, been distracted by the kitty, got upset until I let him pet the kitty, nursed some more, and now dozed off.  Although I try not to nurse him to sleep, it happens sometimes.  I take advantage by getting in some sweet cuddles.  (When he's awake or trying to go to sleep, he does not like to be held.  I love his independence/This breaks my heart. So, when he's asleep, I hug him so tightly!)

8:00PM: While I've been feeding the little guy, James has finished our dinner: grilled salmon burgers (thank you, Costco) and sweet potatoes (baked for me, roasted for James).  

Yum-O

It's also our first chance to catch up and talk about our days.  James runs a million miles an hour during the day, so we usually have a lot to discuss.  I also spend some time obsessing over analyzing JB's sleeping and eating trends from the day, based on the spreadsheet that sweet Nanny Y humors me with completes each day.

Yes, I created this genius template myself

8:30PM - 10:00PM: Because my brother and (should be) sister-in-law are visiting this weekend (YEA!), this means that there is some housekeeping to take care of (boo).  Full disclosure: we do have a housekeeper, but she only comes every 2-3 weeks.  This is an off-week, so we roll up our sleeves and get to work.

10:00PM: About to hit the point of exhaustion (but not sleepy - I am a night owl).  I count up my pumping/nursing sessions and decide I don't need to pump (yea!) so we pour ourselves a glass of red wine, for our heart health.  Enda is ready for bed and requires a lap or cuddle.  This is what I see most nights from my spot on the couch:

Find the spoiled viszla...
11:00PM:  Bed.  Finally.  A quick look on the monitor to check on the little guy (snoozing away), a quick kiss goodnight to my big guy, and….zzzzzzz


--------------------------------------------------------------

I would say, more or less, this is pretty much a normal weekday.  Sometimes we're a little "lazier" (i.e. lounging on the couch at the first opportunity), some days we're stuck indoors (hate it), and some days James gets home early so we can do a family walk (love it).   This is also just my (Jennie's) day - think about the detail if I had included James's day as well!

I feel very blessed every day with my situation - my family, my work, my home.  Days are long, yes, but - as they say - the years are short!  I've got to soak up every minute.




4 comments:

  1. I really need to get a job where I only have to wear work appropriate attire on the top half! : )

    Glad your family has found a good routine and that JB is getting lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like such a fun day!!! I really love how walkable your neighborhood is (and how you can accomplish errands while walking)! And along the same lines as Amanda's comment...do you find that you have disproportionately more tops than bottoms, since that's all you need for from-home meetings? That would be funny. I hear that news anchors are like that too...beneath the desk and snazzy blazer and jewelry they rock their leggings or jeans!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a structured, productive day - my favorite kind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So jealous that you can work out on your lunch break!!

    ReplyDelete