Wednesday, May 8, 2013

More Milestones - The Gerbil

I mean, obviously the Sassers are an accomplished bunch. First, we had James' graduation.  Then, the Gerbil hit 20,000 miles.  That's right, our little hybrid has managed to make it a full 20K since we bought her two years ago.  Not that I doubted a Honda could do that - obviously a Honda will normally go 200K without issues.  But I had seriously doubted that James would put up with this car for so many miles. (It's the complete opposite of the Chevy Suburban that he dreams of owning one day...)


First note: James starting calling her "the Gerbil", and I'm not exactly sure why.  Maybe because she is small and fast like a rodent?  Now, the nickname has stuck.  

On another note: did you happen to check the temperature on the gauge?  55 degrees???  For the record, this was taken at 12PM on May 4th, folks; not in February.  Unacceptable, Georgia...

Not only did the Gerbil cross 20,000 miles on our way back from Auburn, but she also managed to  drive me around Atlanta for a week before that, then drive to Auburn, then drive back to Atlanta, and make it another 3 days around town - all on one 8-gallon tank.  Yes, thank you very much.

My First New Car - a Gerbil!  (2011)
I know that averaging 10,000 miles a year doesn't really seem like a big deal, but, for reference, I put 20,000 miles on my previous car over the course of 10 years.  After being owned by a friend's grandmother, my little old Toyota Camry barely got any action from me while I lived in Austin, DC, and Atlanta.  I was able to sell the 14 year old beauty with only 80K miles, and the buyer practically heard the angels sing when I told him the mileage.  She will definitely live another good 20 years...

Saying Goodbye to the old Gal (2011)
It will most likely be a while before we are selling the Gerbil and upgrading to a bigger car. A carseat will easily fit in the back, and Enda now rides calmly in the front seat beside me (with the air bag turned off, of course, and we're working on the doggie seatbelt.)

So, here's to another 20,000 miles in the Gerbs! (Cue James scowling...)

2 comments:

  1. Yay Gerbil!!! Go car go!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it might not be such a big deal that your Honda hit 20,000 miles, but that is just why many owners love it. 'Cause even after such milestone, it continues to do its job and doesn't create significant problems. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete