Friday, May 31, 2013

Law Breaker

So, yesterday, James and I were moseying along Peachtree Street in the Gerbil when a police car came up behind us and flashed his lights. It took us a while to react because, well, we were doing nothing wrong going a mere 12mph after a completely legal left turn during a green arrow.  It wasn't until he started broadcasting "MOVE OVER TO THE SIDE OF THE ROAD AWAY FROM TRAFFIC" that we took him seriously.  Still, we were relatively calm since we had done nothing wrong.

Or so we thought.

After he approached, said hello, and asked "do you know why I pulled you over?", he informed us that we had an expired tag.....expired since March....what?  Here is the subsequent conversation between James and me:

James: Did you not pay your car tag in March!?
Jennie:  WHAT?  Of course I did!  I am always compliant....(I start digging through the glove compartment)...Maybe YOU paid it?  

We then start discussing how we couldn't have possibly forgotten about this.  Didn't we get a note in the mail?  Didn't we send in a check?  Didn't we get a new tag to put on the car?  Didn't we stick that little tag sticker on the license plate?

The officer assures us that our tag is, in fact, expired and goes back to his car to contemplate what he should do with us.  We realized that it could be a ticket or, worse, he could impound our car.  YIKES.  We go back to our "loud discussion":

James:  HOW DID YOU FORGET TO PAY YOUR CAR TAG?
Jennie: ME!?  WHY AM I SUPPOSE TO REMEMBER THOSE THINGS?  
James: BECAUSE IT'S YOUR CAR!!!!

In my defense, I did not have to worry about my own car tag until I got married.  My dear sweet father always took care of it for me, as I kept my old car registered in Texas despite living in two different States after graduating from college.  (Is that even legal?) I would get a new tag in the mail with a note from Daddy saying "here's your new car tag, LOVE YOU!" and go about my business.  Seriously this happened until I was 27 years old.  This whole business of actually remembering and paying my car tag is pretty new.  Can I actually be blamed?  

Legally, I guess I can.  I received a nice ticket and a court date, with instructions to go pay my tag and then present documentation to the judge.  (The officer, who suddenly turned very nice when he saw the chaos that was ensuing in our car over "who forgot to pay the car tag", assured me that they should waive my ticket and keep it from going on my record when I present my new tag info.)

So, a crisis averted, considering this car has been driven daily and across multiple State lines during the expiration period.  And, obviously I've learned my lesson: I still don't remember getting a letter, but that is not an excuse.  I might have been spoiled a bit/a lot during a pivotal period when most people learn these responsibilities, but that is not an excuse.  I might have confused that a tag reading "March 2013" indicates when it expires and not when you paid it, but that is not an excuse.  

No excuses, I've got nothing.  :)  Everyone wish me luck on my upcoming court date!

3 comments:

  1. HAHA! I actually worked in the tag office... to answer your questions:

    Bills typically come 45 days before the first listed owner's birthday (not driver, owner). It's due ON the birthday, not the end of the month. And no, the registered in Texas thing wasn't legal unless you were in college or in the military. : )

    I'm glad the officer didn't impound your car! Be thankful you had insurance!!! I hope they'll waive that ticket for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go!!! And yeah, I've had friends get their cars towed for this one, which REALLY SUCKED, so I'm thankful that wasn't the case! (I bet it was cause the cop didn't feel like backing up traffic on P-tree and closing the lane and all that would ensue from trying to tow your car there...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha. I can totally picture y'all in the car having this conversation.

    ReplyDelete