Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Love this Nail Product!

Full disclosure - this is a post about NAIL POLISH.  If you are male or could care less, feel free to just catch up with us later in the week.  (My editor will also likely not approve of our blog being used for a pure beauty discussion, but I just had to do it.)

A few weeks, I (non-chalantly) mentioned this new nail polish product that I was enjoying.  I got a few questions about its efficacy, and heard a few needed clarifications about how it actually works.  Well, after several more weeks of enjoying 10 days of no chips - SERIOUSLY - I decided to lay out very clearly why and how every woman who paints her own nails should invest the $5.99 in this wonderful product.  I am not a paid spokeswoman, just a person who likes to paint her nails. And, someone who loves the look of a gel manicure, but doesn't enjoy the price or time spent at Nail Talk and Tan up the street.

So, as a reminder, this is the product that you're looking for at your Sally's Beauty Supply:

Source: Sally's
And, honestly, this is the only product you need (in addition to your normal color polish and favorite top coat.)  There is no need for a lamp of any kind.  NO LAMPS.  Who really needs to give themselves age spots and extra doses of UV rays for no reasons, ladies?  NO ONE.

So, here is the process I use to paint my nails, based off of user reviews and a couple of blogs I read on the subject:

  1. Paint one coat of the Gelous polish on dry, clean nails.  Let dry pretty well.
  2. Paint one coat of a good color polish (I'm an Essie fan myself).  Let dry for just a minute.
  3. Paint one more coat of the Gelous polish over the colors.  Let dry for just a minute.
  4. Paint one more coat of the color polish. Let dry pretty well.
  5. Paint one coat of a good top coat. Let dry REALLY WELL. 
That last step may be the one disadvantage of the Gelous polish over the gel manicure you get at the salon - it doesn't dry hard immediately. It still requires you to be careful and sit still for a while until you reach that "safe zone" of not ruining your manicure.  BUT, I would say it's worth in the end.  

I got a couple of questions about removing it, because that is definitely one of the downfalls of the gel manicures.  This stuff comes off SO EASILY with pure acetone.  One swipe and it's off.  No soaking or peeling or sawing or other terrible things I have to do to remove the gel polish.  Voila.

I also read a couple of negative reviews that it dries out your nails.  I can only speak for  myself, but I have not noticed this with my nails after 2+ months of continuous use.  In fact, I think having un-chipped polish on them all the time protects them and makes them stronger (my opinion).  Well, it's that or the fact I've been on prenatal vitamins constantly for a heckuva long time while trying to produce a Sassy baby.

So, everyone just consider this your little beauty PSA for the day.  Happy Painting!  :)

3 comments:

  1. You sold me…. I'm off to buy some. I NEVER paint my nails because polish doesn't stick to them at all. Seriously, the next day they look terrible, even from a salon. If this even gets me 3-4 days, I'll be hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only problem with this product? EVERY TIME I GO TO SALLY'S THEY ARE SOLD OUT. Soooo...apparently you're contributing to this problem by encouraging even MORE people to go grab it all up. Thanks a lot. Relatedly, what's your favorite top coat? I should probably start getting on board with top coats...never really have. Oh, but don't bother to recommend one that's just going to be sold out all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I loved your comment about producing a Sassy baby...I am sure the pun might have been intended, still funny.

    And I am going to have to check this stuff out because I HATE getting my nails done because it ruins them. Much rather do it myself...except pedicures, I am willing to go to the salon for those :)

    ReplyDelete