As I've said/heard/read the past few days - what a sad and terrible week. I was actually working in NJ and NYC, so fairly removed from the constant stream of media and news. And, thank goodness for that - the little bit I did see of Boston and West just broke my heart.
The explosion and fire in West particularly hit very close to home. Being from Waco, Texas, the little town of West is one with lots of connections and memories for me. I've been going there my whole life - and still manage to get there every time I go home for my kolache fix! I can remember eating on Main Street with my grandparents and their POW chapter several times as a kid and teenager. I've eaten kolaches from a little place a few blocks from the interstate (not the famous Little Czech Bakery, which I find a little commercial) for...well...forever. The last few times we've stopped, the same older gentleman is sitting at the tables and drinking coffee with a group of friends. He seems to always remember us (or maybe he is just that friendly to everyone?) The last time we stopped there with my parents they actually knew someone at the table! It's exactly how you envision a small rural community.
I've been to a wedding reception there, loving every bit of all a huge Czech wedding entails. My mother and I shopped for (and bought) my wedding dress at the little bridal shop in West, just like she had done 30+ years before. Our wedding florist was from West, and has her shop on Main Street. I remember many trips and hours spent there before FINALLY finding the perfect flower for my wedding: orange and yellow ranunculus. I still call her to this day if I need flowers sent to anyone in Waco.
What's so sad to think about is how nearly everyone in this close-knit community will be impacted in some way. With only 2400 people, I would reckon to guess that the actual number of families (since you have many generations of families, all living in that small town) is not that large. And people there probably stretch the idea of who is "family" and who's just so close that you call them that. Really heartbreaking...
So, I've been saying a special prayer for the people of West, because they certainly have a special place in my heart. I can't wait to get back there and get a kolache (and hopefully see that sweet gentleman at the same table with a cup of coffee...)
Friday, April 19, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)














No comments:
Post a Comment