Friday, March 15, 2013

Recipe: "Refried" Beans

I will just come out and admit it: I like Taco Bell.  I realize it's, like, the lowest form of fast food out there on the market, but something about the bean burritos and Gorditas just call my name.  I think it started in college when I lived at the Scottish Rite dorm.  Sunday night was the only meal that we did not have meal service, so I got used to hitting up the Taco Bell down the street for $.79 burritos.  Bad, bad habit (which I hardly ever partake in now, since James would rather starve a slow death than run to the border).

And, I know it's probably bad for me.  Even something as "healthy" as a bean is probably so highly altered that it's doing more harm than good.  However, I still have the bean burrito cravings!!  What to do, what to do...

Enter 100 Days of Real Food, a website that I both love and hate (but still frequently review). I love the recipes, but hate how 50% of the things I eat and enjoy usually wind up on her "Eat This at Your Own Risk" list.  I can't even imagine what she would tell me about Taco Hell.

She had a recipe recently for "refried" beans in the crock pot, and I immediately pinned it. Yum - to use of some bean burritos, perhaps?! I had to try it out.

Such a simple recipe: dried beans (that you don't have to soak, who can remember to do that?!), onion, jalapeños, spices. Cook a long time, then mash up. I must say, the flavor was delicious!


Okay, maybe it doesn't look too good, but I promise - delicious!


My only challenge with the recipe is that it makes a LOT. (The picture was after I had already filled up a few containers!) And since I am the only bean eater in the house, that's a whole bunch of frijoles to consume. Fortunately, they freeze well, too.  :)

So, here you go, a fun little recipe for Friday:

"Refried" Bean Recipe (with my adjustments)
(Adapated from: 100 Days of Real Food)
  • 1 onion, roughly chopped
  • 2 C dried pinto beans, rinsed
  • 1 whole fresh jalepeno, rinse, seeded, and chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 t salt
  • 1/2 t black pepper
  • Some cumin AND some coriander
  • 6 C of water (adding a bit more as needed over time)
Combine everything in a large slow cooker and cook on low for roughly 8 hours.  The original recipe says to remove the large onion chunks, but I like onion and left them in.  Do drain the excess liquid, but save some in case you need to add back in.  Original recipe called for a potato masher, but I used my handy dandy immersion blender to make it smooth (add in a little more of the liquid).  YUM!

1 comment:

  1. Yum!! We've been on a serious refried bean kick lately (just the canned kind, though)...I could totally try this out! But I don't have an immersion blender OR a potato masher. Would I be able to use something else? I have a blender and a stand mixer...and umm...a husband with strong arms?? Haha.

    ReplyDelete