Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Happy Easter 2013!

Happy Easter, everyone!  I know I'm a little late, but we were super busy with Easter festivities up until the last possible moment.

Overall, it was a wonderful Easter day - which ended a very reflective Lenten season.  Our church did two things this year that we participated in throughout Lent:  first, a church-wide devotional (written by church members and church clergy) that really kept me focused day-after-day; second, a church-wide study of a fantastic book that I highly recommend (during Easter or throughout the year).  24 Hours that Changed the World (written by a Methodist minister from Kansas, Adam Hamilton) focuses on the last moments of Christ, starting with the Last Supper.  Each week, our pastor would both preach on a chapter and we would then study the chapter in our Wednesday bible study.  I can honestly say that the book brought a totally new perspective to the Easter story, and I probably won't go into another Holy Week without more clarity on what was transpiring in that last day.  In fact, I might read it again every year at Easter.  It was THAT GOOD.  I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT.
Amazon
Based on the fact that the past 40 days had been very reflective and somewhat somber, the celebration at church on Sunday really brought alive the message and joy of Easter.  The congregation even broke into applause when the choir finished after the Benediction; and, people, I heard someone yell "AMEN!"  Yes, even at our METHODIST church!  When us Methodists demonstrate emotion, you know people are really feeling the Spirit!  :)

After that great morning, we spent the rest of the day preparing and hosting family for our Easter lunch.  I had been a very busy bee on Saturday doing most all of my prep work, carefully storing all the food in our (overcrowded) fridge.  This meant that Sunday I had very little left to do but cook the ham and reheat the sides.  In fact, I actually complained about being BORED, and obsessively checked the clock over and over again to see if it was time to do something else.  Now, James insisted that he preferred "bored hostess" over "crazy hostess", which is usually what he calls me when we host large events.  But, I don't know, it just doesn't seem like a proper soiree without a little drama or a cooking disaster five minutes before your guests arrive...

A few shots of my tablescape for Easter.  Seating for 12 means I set two different tables, but still allows me to put out my wedding china.  It's the perfect number.



I made some cute little name cards that required me to use paintpens, a glue stick, and a straight razor.  All fun things to liven up your crafting.


I also stole a fun idea from Pinterest for the center bouquet.  Turned out fairly cute, and wasn't too hard to make:


And finally, a few shots from the feast.  Appetizers this meal had to be green to land on the platter (just kidding).  This does not show the fabulous crab and artichoke dip that our cousin-in-law brought.


I also didn't get a picture of her Spring spinach salad, which we started out with.  It was DELICIOUS.  After the salad course, we got to dig in to this:


YUM.  In case you're wondering what everything was:



1) My dad's famous Asparagus and Pea Casserole, an old recipe from Southern Living.  He always makes it for Thanksgiving, but I feel it's very appropriate for Easter.  2) Tangerine and Sage Ham.  Tyler's Ultimate recipe that is the first ham I ever made (and only recipe I ever use).  3) Deviled Eggs.  Because can you really call it an Easter feast without these babies?  (FULL DISCLOSURE - I ruined my first batch of boiled eggs on Saturday.  It required me to buy pre-boiled eggs.  PRE-BOILED.  It's shameful, I just had to confess it.)  4) Carrots.  These little guys soak in the tangerine glaze, and were oh so good.  5) Twice Baked Potatoes.  Where have these guys been all my life!?  Not only are they yummy, but they are not that hard to make. I used Pioneer Woman's recipe, swapping Greek yogurt for sour cream and adding in a packet of Ranch mix instead of the season salt.  Oh, and a swiped the inside of the potatoes with bacon grease (a Cuisine at Home tip), because it's Easter and a good, modern Christian likes to overuse bacon and ham.

I got a little resourceful for dessert, and decided to get out all the various cakes that were sitting in my freezer.  (Ms. Leron and Aunt Wyllene make these delicious cakes every birthday and holiday.  I can't bear to throw them out, BUT can't possibly eat in a week.  Helpful hint: cakes freeze beautifully).


You can see, no one left hungry.  And, we have no left overs.  SUCCESS.

Now, I'm so stinkin' mad about this, but our annual Easter Family photo did not turn out.  I'm not sure if it was the bad lighting, the autotimer, or the fact I had it propped up on our fence post, but these cute photos are blurry.  :(  I'm still going to include them, though, just don't judge the quality:

"Hold me, Dad!"
(Most spoiled dog ever...)


HAPPY EASTER!

3 comments:

  1. You are such a great hostess! Wish you were in my fam so I could come to your holiday feasts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um yeah...feel free to invite us next year. :) Couldn't agree more on the important theological doctrine about the necessity of over-embracing ham and bacon. Pretty much the foundation of faith, when it comes down to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the lemons in the vase! We did that for our wedding!

    ReplyDelete