READING LIST
Here is what I did read last year, according to my Goodreads App where I track all this stuff.
- Bringing Up Bebe, by Pamela Drunkerman
- The Surrendered Wife, by Laura Doyle
- Shanghai Girls, by Lisa See
(I wrote a review on these three here)
- Dreams of Joy, by Lisa See
- The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins
- Mockingjay, by Suzanne Collins
- Catching Fire, by Suzanne Collins
- The New Strong Willed Child, by Dr. James Dobson
- This is Where I Leave You, by Jonathan Tropper
- Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn
- The Other Bolyen Girl, by Philippa Gregory
- Toddler Rules: Your 5 Step Guide to Shaping Proper Behavior, by Jo Frost
I think this represents a fair mix of advice/inspiration to make me a better parent, catching up on social phenomenons that everyone has been talking about for years, and a few other random novels that I picked up and enjoyed.
I'm glad that I finally got into the Hunger Games series after avoiding it for so long, as I haven't had anything captivate me like that in quite a while. I'll be honest that Gone Girl did not hold my attention as much as people told me it would. I actually liked Gone Girl, the movie, more than the book (which rarely happens), but was sorely disappointed in This is Where I Leave You, the movie (although I knew it would be impossible to translate the wit and humor of the book into a movie, despite the fact I love Jason Bateman.)
WATCHING LIST
Now, I continue to follow (and binge watch) fairly intense shows on TV. In 2014, it was war series after war series after war series. This past year (2015), there were several new shows that really messed with my head.
First, True Detective, one of the best shows I've ever watched on TV. While on maternity leave (but before Maryn joined us), I watched the entire series in 2 days. Had nightmares for weeks, and it still haunts me - but such a good story line and darn good acting. James and I also watched the first three entire seasons of Homeland within a span of 2 months. We pretty much walk around thinking everyone is a terrorist now. But it's not all killing, kidnapping, and cults (seriously, True Detective, so good). There is still my daily ingestion of Food Network (Chopped), news (MSNBC), reruns of Modern Family and Law and Order, and PBS specials (like Downton Abby, Masterpiece Theater, and Frontline). And my other premium cable shows, like Ray Donovan and The Affair. Fairly well balanced TV watching.
I have a robust list of potential next reads going in my Goodreads App, plus lots of parenting books collecting dust on my bedside table. I'm currently in one bible study that has me in my Bible every day. James and I have two more seasons of Homeland to catch up, and Downton Abby is back! Here's to a very interesting, fulfilling 2016 when it comes to my reading/watching activities. :)













No comments:
Post a Comment