Some of my favorite stories right now from JB's school days that I don't want to forget:
There is now an Instagram account for JB's class so we can follow their day. I can't believe the pictures: the kids practicing holding baby dolls, loading the dishwasher, sweeping messes, peeling and cutting bananas, etc. "Life Skills" as they say. Lunchtime pics at the best - they sit at little tables and serve themselves and others directly from the platters and bowls, family style (working on being kind and independent.) Blows my mind. (Traditional Montessori was a different perspective for us, but we are loooooving it.)
When I drop JB off at school now, he gets his name tag, puts it on the bulletin board, runs to his cubby, changes to his "indoor shoes" (his Crocs), and waves quickly to me without even turning around. He's so excited to get to his table for breakfast or to a mat for an activity.
Last week he came home in his Crocs, which are strictly indoor shoes that stay in the classroom. James told me that, at some point during the day, he had hid his outdoor shoes in the room. He wouldn't tell the teacher where. I found them in his cubby this morning so who knows where or how they found them.
JB got to school really late one day last week (hey, getting 2 kids out the door is HARD), and when he ran in I saw him mentally scan all the different work groups. Or maybe he was looking for Isla? Whatever the reason, he saw a group reading stories and bolted and nosedived into the group. I don't know why, but it was so funny to me.
They do language studies at school - Spanish, French and Chinese. When JB is supposed to be sitting with the Chinese or French group, he gets up and joins the Spanish group - refusing the leave.
He loves to help - so much that the teachers let him join them while they make copies. I've also seen him demand to hold the clipboard and pen while they're lining up to go to music or gym. He's most often standing right beside the teacher. He likes to make sure things are running according to plan (that kid lives for routine).
It takes us a good 20 minutes to leave school. First, we have to say goodbye to the lizards, the fish, and the birds. Then, outside, it's like a playdate amongst all the kids leaving. They run around the grounds, climb on rocks, stick their hands in the water. I have to drag JB away each day. Last week he followed some bigger kids as they climbed the picnic table - I caught up to him before he almost jumped off!!!
Yesterday, during the 20 minute departure, I was chatting with another woman who had an infant in the carrier. (I had set Maryn down in her carrier on the sidewalk). The woman started to walk away, and JB started yelling and pointing "SISSY!!! SISSY!!!". We had to show him that it wasn't his sissy, and that this nice lady wasn't 'napping our baby sister.
AND NOW MY FAVORITE STORY FROM THE WEEK - When I picked JB up on Monday, the teacher, Ms. Brittany, pulled me and JB aside, very serious. She asked JB to tell me what happened today, JB looked at the ground, and Ms. Brittany proceeded to explain that while leaving music to go to the playground JB was the leader of the group (of about 6 kids). She asked him to line up the group along the wall, but instead JB took off and led the group screaming and running up and down the hall. When she finally caught them, he laughed at her. Basically our 2 year old led a little coup among his classmates. We have been talking every day about "wearing our listening ears" to school.
















No comments:
Post a Comment