Sunday, October 11, 2015

Messy Church

During my postnatal yoga class with JB, I met another mom with a baby boy born the same month as JB.  We have kept up through lunches and play dates, and she's such a sweet, authentic person.  I really enjoy her company and friendship.

She is a Presbyterian minister, and her church introduced a new monthly service called "Messy Church".  When she invited us and JB, I asked several times "and you're sure about JB, you've met my toddler, right??" She assured me the service was meant to be experienced by families - including the littlest ones! That the service would be creative, interactive, and flexible.  

JB and I attended this week, and we had a wonderful time! Honestly I don't think JB has ever been in a chapel or sanctuary, minus his baptism (and even then he was sent to the nursery as soon as it was over!) He's gone to church his whole life, but never the actual service.  He's so young, and so busy, and it would be way too stressful (for us.) 

So this service was great.  JB loved the music, the clapping, the instruments they had put in the pews, and the activities they had for the littles.  He was very proud to stand in line and go up for a blessing.  I did have to explain (a million times) that he could not pull out the hymnals and bibles.  Or crawl under the pews.  Or run down the aisle and wave to everyone.

Although I realize he's still young for a formal service, I so appreciated the opportunity to begin introducing him to God and the Church in something he could be a part of.     


1 comment: