Greetings from Budapest! Although I have been here since Monday, today is the first day it's not raining - I can't wait to see more of the city (outside of the conference room that I am spending most if my time in.)
When I am not working, I am eating. Food here ranges from delicious to interesting. I hesistate to say "bad" because it really isn't. Yes, very different, but definitely not a bad different (unless you're a weirdo like James and hate sour cream. It's on everything, but I don't complain. Really, how can you not like sour cream?!)
Eating began on the flight over, where Air France served this for lunch on my Paris -Budapest flight:
From top left, clockwise: watercress with dried beef, water and bread, Brie and butter, veggies and smoked salmon, pineapple and prunes.
So, not too shabby for airline food. Dinner Monday night I failed to capture, but it was chicken with a paprika sour cream sauce, with eggs and potatoes. I ate every bite.
My breakfast came from Starbucks. Ham and cheese on fresh croissant:
Lunches for our meeting have been sandwiches and salads. And I don't mean more ham and cheese....
Sandwiches included: tuna fish salad, smoked trout, caviar, liver pate, and sour cream with veggies. Salad was watercress and arugula, and the desserts were custards. Yesterday, they also had smoked salmon on toast - my favorite.
Dinner last night was traditional Hungarian. Although heavy, portions were small and I left happy but comfortable.
For a starter, I enjoyed homemade noodles, venison and porcinis in a homemade bone broth:
 |
| Bone Broth! |
My main meal was stuffed cabbage with 7 types of (unidentifiable) meats.
 |
| Plus sour cream! |
Well, take that back. I did recognize one piece of meat: pigs feet.
 |
| hum... |
For dessert, I ate cottage cheese dumplings with a sweet sour cream sauce. I ate three before deciding I could not get one more bite of food in my stuffed belly.
 |
| more sour cream! |
So, safe to say I'm not going hungry in Hungary (HAHAHA, I kill myself...) Tonight we have a Chrsitmas market, which has me so excited! I went to one my last trip to
Berlin, and loved every second of it.
WOW. I do not consider myself a picky eater at all, but it looks like I would starve in Hungary...except for maybe at Starbucks. And now I want to hang my head in shame because I would be That American who only visits American restaurants/coffee shops to eat her happy American food while abroad. Waaaah. (Does it help that this is NOT the case when I visit Central/South America???)
ReplyDeleteOh. My. Gosh. Jennie, you are a trooper. Really. I'd be with Erika and James, starving to death unless I found a starbucks. Sour cream on dessert (gag, I HATE sour cream) and pigs feet?!?!? Budapest sounds like a form of detox and diet for me.
ReplyDeleteDitto the starving comments. I could deal with the sour cream if I needed to, but you listed a lot of fishy stuff. Nope…won't do that! Glad you are enjoying, though!
ReplyDeleteNot sure I could eat the pigs feet!
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to see what nativity set you come home with!