Sunday, November 17, 2013

Big Sister Enda

In all my posts about the family, I realize I've neglected to give a much overdue update on our first little one - the dog child!

I had been a little curious (read: nervous) about how Enda would react to a new baby in the house, taking lots of attention away from her and interfering with her ability to be with her people at all times.  Enda is somewhat very high maintenance and, well, just a special dog who thinks she's an actual human child.  I was not only worried about how we would find time to get her crazies out each day (as she requires miles of walking/running/playing), but also worried she would get upset if we had a baby in our arms when she wanted to be in our lap.  

I am very happy to report that the transition has been a smooth one!  Not only does she love her little brother, but we've seen very little bad behavior resulting from the new addition. (And, the "bad behavior" we have witnessed is because Enda has suddenly become convinced that other dogs - particularly "scarier" breeds that she needs to leave alone - might possibly harm her little brother.  She feels the need to warn them to back off if we are walking down the street.  Sweet, yes, but acceptable behavior in our dog friendly neighborhood? Not really...)

JB's Homecoming
Here are a few things we did to try to help with the transition, after reading too many books and online articles. And, please don't laugh at our methods - first time parents will do crazy things!
  • Upon coming home from the hospital, we unwrapped the baby and allowed Enda to take her time to sniff him.  Which she did, for a good 5 minutes.  She especially wanted to smell his bottom and nosed her way through the blanket to get a good whiff of his diaper.  I read somewhere that this is how she determines what type of "animal" it is?  Very strange, but it worked and she seemed satisfied with whatever she found out.  
  • We give her treats every time he is crying in the nursery and we're changing his diaper. This was supposedly to help her remain calm and not get upset with all the shrill cries - great idea, we thought.  It took about two diaper changes for her to realize that cries = treats, and now we've created quite a monster.  The second he whimpers and we walk towards the nursery, Enda beelines ahead and then lies down stately on the floor in front of the dresser, waiting for her treat.  It's like Pavlov's bell! And, with the amount of crying/diapers with little JB, Enda's definitely put on about 2 pounds due to this "great" idea.  
  • We give lots of attention to her when we have the baby, and (try to) ignore her when we don't. The concept here is that she does not associate the baby with her losing the attention of her parents, but rather interprets a baby in our arms as her getting love, too.  Honestly, I think we still give her tons of attention 24/7, so she remains a happy camper and doesn't associate the baby with more or less attention.  The times I've ignored her when I have the baby (such as when she whines at the door to go out the second I sit down the nurse - EVERY SINGLE TIME), it hasn't seemed to trigger any outbursts or negative behavior (or worse, accidents!) on her part.  
  • We allow Enda to give JB kisses without scolding her (too much...)  The books say this was key, so she doesn't associate innocent gestures toward the baby with "NO!" or widespread panic. So we do let her lick him a few times without freaking out too much.   It now seems like she wants to do that the SECOND he falls asleep or when he really wants to be left alone. I find her in the nursery trying to lick him through the bars on his crib.  Or laying beside his infant seat, licking his feet.  <Sigh...>
"Encouraging" JB during Tummy Time
"Yep, it's a dirty one, guys..."
Overall, good transition.  Obviously we are careful with the dog child and still monitor her at all times with the baby, but it's pretty clear she loves him, too.  I hope they can grow up being good pals!

One last funny note - Enda was getting up each and every time I fed him during the night, sitting next to the rocker with me.  Now she's decided that's for the birds and remains in bed, snoring away.  At least someone in the house is still getting a full night's sleep!  :)

2 comments:

  1. Good job, Enda (and Enda's parents)! They will be BFF in no time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds just like how Aggie adjusted!! It's so fun to watch the bond form between a kiddo and their pet...Levi absolutely loves her and gives her a hug and a kiss before bed every night. When I pick him up from school, he always asks about her! (c: Glad to hear y'all are all doing well and I can't wait to meet your little man next month!!

    ReplyDelete