Monday, May 6, 2019

More Beautiful Butterflies!

Last year we started the Spring tradition of "growing" butterflies from baby caterpillars.  This year we bought two containers of baby caterpillars, and experienced double the fun. I'm impressed by the quality of Insect Lore (no sponsorship here, just stating our experience) - of all 10 caterpillars, only 1 failed to work his cocoon magic.  But, this allows us to have some hard "facts of life" type discussions with our kiddos: i.e. nature can be savage.

Last year the butterflies emerged while the kids were at school. This year I stalked them after Day 10 and yelled for the kids as soon as I saw movement in a cocoon.  They witnessed two coming out!


After all 9 butterflies were flapping their wings (and seemingly anxious in the net), we released them into our lantana garden.  The kids said goodbye, and we watched them fly away....as Enda tried to eat them. :)  






Such a fun Spring tradition!  

No comments:

Post a Comment