Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Music Class with Miss M (plus W!)

I've loved attending The Music Class sessions since JB was a wee one.  I wrote about that here and here. He looked so young then!

I'm so grateful they have the same program here in our little town - and after work, too!  Although JB has aged out of the "music pups" program, Maryn is at the perfect age to participate.  Wesley tags along with us, too (although many times he takes his last little cat nap during all the noise and chaos).  This past Monday we completed our last series: the Bear Collection.  JB and I participated in the Bear Collection back in 2014, and I felt waves of nostalgia every time I would hear one of his favorite songs.

Some funny stories about Maryn in music class:

  • Maryn loves to collect everyone's instruments and put them in the bin.  She's quite the helper.  Although other kids like to help, too, and this leads to some tiffs.


  • If children "taste" the instruments (not uncommon at this age), the teacher always asks for us to clean them before putting them in the bin. She'll proudly proclaim after the song "I no put in my mouth!" and also asks the kids AND the mamas if they put them in their mouth before she takes the instruments from them and puts them in the bin. I always have to tell her "no, Maryn, I did not put this shaker egg in my mouth." One time she responded back "good girl".


  • The music frequently moves Maryn in a way that she tries to remove her shirt.  Have mercy, I surely hope she grows out of this before she's  a young college student at music festivals and on spring break!!!



  • She's very protective/possessive of Wesley.  If other children try to come over to see him she gets right in their face and says "NO, he MY Wesley!!!"  




  • Her favorite songs:  Skip to my Lou, Paw Paw Patch, Fingers Up, Clippity Klop, and Riding in my Car Now 


  • The "Clippity Klop" song requires us to go different places. ("Clippity Klop, Clippity Klop, here we go to the ice cream shop" or "grandpa's house" or wherever the kids suggest.) Maryn always suggest that we go to "Local Yokal", her favorite breakfast joint.  It also requires us to sit in a circle, and Maryn does not always want to comply.

  • Like many of the children, any song where they have to "roll the ball to the beat" (which rarely happens) is a total hit with Maryn.





  • She's a total teacher's pet and demands the attention of Ms. Erica multiples times a class.




  • The class takes place in a gym and the kids frequently get their energy out on the mats after class.  Maryn is as wild as the boys!


James likes to tease me "did Mama have fun in music class today?", as it's obvious I love it as much as the kids.  It's such a special time for us and I treasure all the memories!!  





No comments:

Post a Comment