Monday, July 14, 2014

Water Baby!

This weekend we took JB swimming for the first time, and safe to say that the kid loved it.  I was not too surprised, as he loves his baths and also enjoyed the kiddy pool.  He's also intent to seek out danger,  and since the pool is about the scariest thing for a parent of course he was drawn to it.

"Where's that Phelps, I'm ready to race…"
Our friends, Kyle and Christina, have a beautiful saltwater pool, and they are always so inviting to friends, family, kiddos, and even the fur babies.  If they didn't live nearly out of state, we'd probably be there more than they would like.  (Just had to get in at least one OTP joke…)

Living the dream...
Enda had a blast splashing around on the shallow end (and even attempted to swim out a few times before one of her parents had to rescue her.)

"Who's ready to dive in and save me?"
But, back to JB:  like I said, he loved the water.  So much that he tried endlessly to get out of our arms.  He tried multiple times to swim away, put his face in the water, go under - all the things his mean ole Mama was not about to let him do.  :)  

"Let me go, Dad, I can do it!"
We didn't bring a baby float with us, which was probably a good thing as I doubt he would have stayed confined.  We did let him play in an adult float with a mesh bottom, although it require both of us to keep our hands on him at all times less he dove over the side (which of course he attempted.)  This is why we have no swimming pictures of him.  It took one of us to hold him and the other person to freak out and say "AAAAAAK, what is he doing, don't let him go under!!!!"    


Fortunately he tired himself out enough to take a nap in the shade.  I could have stayed like this for hours, although JB only needed 35 minutes before he was ready to go again!


Don't get me wrong - we had a blast and I'm very happy he's not afraid of the water, but, WHEW, he's a handful in the water (and on land, for that matter!)  Looking forward to / already nervous about our beach trip coming up next week!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

(I should note that JB was never in any danger, I promise.  I'm being a little dramatic because a day at the pool with a daredevil baby will leave one a bit frazzled.  But, we had complete control of the situation, and would never ever be anything but super diligent with the little guy around the water.)

3 comments:

  1. You need to sign him up for swim lessons when the next sessions start. We are going to continue Reagan, I think. I can't wait to hear how the beach trip goes. And to hear how much sand he eats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh that pool looks amaaaaazing!!!! I need to be friends with those folks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally get the daredevil toddler in the pool scenario! My son LOVES the pool, is totally fearless, and doesn't quite understand why I don't just let him walk right in. By the end of our pool trips (1hr... Tops.), I'm just as soaked as Isaac (in a 3ft deep kiddie pool) and just as ready for a nap! Hahaha

    ReplyDelete