Monday, May 5, 2014

American Idiot

We don't get to say this often enough (in my opinion), but James and I went to the theater on Saturday night.  I love, love, love a good show! And with the Fabulous Fox just a few miles away, it's a shame we don't take advantage more often.

A night out, sans bambino
Our friends, Chris and John, have owned season tickets for years.  They invited us on Saturday night to see American Idiot, and broadway production entirely of Greenday songs.  Now, James and I aren't into punk or grunge or "angry for no reason" or however you would classify that genre, but we can appreciate that Greenday produced some good tunes over the years.  (This was actually our second time to see the show - we saw it on a New York trip about 4 years ago, and walked away saying "better than expected".)

As you can see, our seats were just terrible.  About 15 rows back, smack in the middle.  Seriously...

Terrible, just terrible...
Once again, I enjoyed it immensely.  Crazy optics, bright lights, live rock band, loud music.  Maybe not my normal scene, but it's really hard for me not to get into something happening right in front of me. Some of the older, more conservative patrons did not share this same enthusiasm, and we saw lots of exits throughout.  

If you're sitting here thinking, "Greenday?! I don't even know two of their songs!", look them up and you'd be surprised.  While you're at it, look up the broadway show version of "21 Guns".  Honest to goodness, I was most excited to go back to this show to hear that 4 minute song.  Will give you goose pimples...

Now, they do not play "Time of your Life" in the show, arguably their most famous song. I imagine this led to lots of protest and tomato throwing during its first run, so now they come out after the final bow to play it. All cast members grab a guitar, and the crowd goes nuts.  

Time of your Life
Because we're still cool, we went to dinner AFTER the show and got home after midnight.  (Fortunately JB was in good hands with his Gia!) A great date night, as part of a good weekend; (cue I hope you had the time of your life melody.) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment