The Atlanta Half marathon is only two weeks away, and (truthfully) I will be ready to run that thing - or rather,
conquer that thing - and be done with it. But that is for a whole other post (about how you should never sign up for something while really pregnant in an attempt to prove something to yourself.) :)
Today was yet another long run, and I kept it an easy ten miler so that Enda could join me. I decided to run one of my favorite routes, and then I thought it might be fun to share some of the scenes along the route with all of y'all. So here goes: 10 Miles of Atlanta. You're welcome.
I, of course, start in the Peachtree Hills neighborhood, where we live in our lovely little 1920's bungalow.
Heading south from Peachtree Hills on Peachtree Road, I have to first deal with lots of lights and then the dreaded cardiac hill! This long hill is the first of many challenges, but it allows me to pass Piedmont Hospital and the Labor & Delivery entrance. I can't believe that only 23 Sundays before we were turning in to bring little JB into the world. Gets me choked up every time I pass it.
Not a lot happens on my route until we cross over 85/75.
This is 1.5 miles into the run, and when things really start to get more interesting. Leaving Buckhead, entering Uptown, and looking forward to Midtown.
Although I have never counted, I feel like I probably pass 20 houses of worship on my route. Obviously mostly Christian churches, but also the oldest synagogue in the city. I think it's a beautiful structure, and really wish one of our Jewish friends would get married there so I could go inside.
If it's the afternoon, this is the point in my run where I am totally hating life and the hot sun in my face. Although I pass a lot of cool things, I can barely see them. But I know I'll catch them on the return.
Finally I get further into Midtown and have some shade from all the new buildings. Once I hit 10th and Peachtree, it's time to make some changes to the route; but not before I get a glimpse of two very important structures in Atlanta:
The Federal Reserve of Atlanta is 10 stories high, with another 7 stories below the ground. This building - and its purpose - has always fascinated James. A tour is on our list of future date nights.
Across the street is the home of Margaret Mitchell, where she wrote possibly the greatest novel about the South, Gone with the Wind. Her life also tragically ended at the Fox Theatre not 6 blocks away. I probably could not have told you her name before I moved here, but now know the life story of this important lady from Atlanta.
I turn down 10th and run to what has to be the busiest intersection in Midtown: 10th and Piedmont. Between Blake's and Zocolo and Flying Biscuit...plus the fact that the weather today was gor-geous...things were crazy. I had to carefully maneuver Enda through the choas to finally get to our next landmark:
Ah, the Park. A lovely, active place that Enda is particularly fond of. Even brown, it's a great place to play and run. Just a few more weeks until this place is green - I can't wait (where is the Spring?!)
 |
| My fearless running partner |
A strategic run around Piedmont got me at least 1.5 miles, but somehow I realized I was leaving the park with only 5 miles under my belt. I messed up somewhere today on my route, so I decided to change it up and keep running South through the neighborhoods. I quickly got to a point where things were getting a little sketchy. I'd pass a $1M dollar bungalow, then a dilapidated bungalow, then a redone bungalow, then a boarded up bungalow. Not a good sign. I picked up some speed and somehow came out on Ponce, which is still a little sketchy but at least crowded. Once I got to Mary Mack's Tearoom, I let out a sigh of relief. I doubted anything would happen to me with a line of 50 witnesses waiting for fried chicken.
Finally I got back to Peachtree and started the run home. From there, lots of history and art to pass the time for the next couple miles.
 |
| Fox Theater |
 |
| High Museum of Art |
 |
| Savannah College of Art and Design - SCAD |
After SCAD, it's back over 85/75 and back to the 'hood. This is when I normally start to get a little tired and question my motives for the run. By the time I get to our old fav, El Azteca, I am wondering why I am out running and not enjoying a Dos Equis Amber on such a beautiful day...
But by that time it's only a couple more miles before we're home. Just another 15 minutes or so up before Enda can get back to her squirrel stalking in the backyard. And I can get back to these guys, who've been waiting patiently for me to get home.
 |
| My boys |
So maybe I complain a bit about all my running lately. But on a gorgeous day like today, I am thankful for such a great run and route. Hope you enjoyed!
Next weekend I'll taper. Then the next weekend it'll be 13 more miles of this great city. Can. Not. Wait. (For it to be over. Just Kidding!) :)
What a beautiful run!!! That's obviously the reason I don't run more...a 10 mile loop around my house/neighborhood/town is like cow, trees, cow, hayfield, chickens, nothing, cows, roadkill, random neighborhood where all the houses look alike, cow, roadkill, done! If I were to take pictures and write a post like this, you would be asleep before the second pictures. ;) I'm wowed by how many exciting things are so close to your house!!!
ReplyDelete