This past weekend, James and I crossed off one very important baby prep item from our list: an infant CPR class. Honest-to-goodness, everyone we talked to said this was a MUST before welcoming our little guy. My OBGYN says that if you had to take one class (Labor and Delivery or Infant CPR), she would rather you take the CPR class. Very, very serious.
We went through Northside Hospital in Atlanta, which I highly recommend. Their class was really great, and I feel like I walked away with a solid understanding of the important things to remember. Plus, we practiced and practiced on robo-baby for a couple of hours, to make sure our skills were where they should be.
Obviously, I hope we never have to use CPR or take action on a choking baby. I also know that taking one class on a Saturday is not going to ensure I do the right thing. So my back-up prayer to never using it is, if we do need it, I can spring in to action.
The instructor recommended a great iPhone App that I thought I'd pass along: Resuscitate!
It has video instructions you can quickly get to for CPR and choking, for both infants and adults. Now, I know if we need to take action I shouldn't say "go get the iPhone and open that App!" But, I think watching the vidoes on the App every so often may be useful in keeping the skills top of mind. That's a good thing!
But, I'll say it one more time, BIG PRAYER THAT WE'LL NEVER USE IT.
And that our baby is a little less weird looking than the robo-baby... :)
Tuesday, September 24, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)















That baby is terrifying - not sure I'd be motivated enough to do CPR to save his/her life!!
ReplyDeleteWe had to take those classes every year when I was teaching...those babies are QUITE disturbing!! But pretty hilarious. That's a great recommendation (the app)...I will definitely get that. I always kind of hate that I AM CPR-certified because I feel like it means nothing and I'd be useless in an actual crisis...I'd almost rather not be 'certified' just because then I'd feel more responsible (but not any more capable!) in a crisis!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the remind about the app. I just downloaded it.
ReplyDeleteMichael and I both said that we pray we wasted our money on the CPR class we took. It is the one baby prep/gear that we hope that we never use.