Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Viva a Mexico!

I'm back in Mexico City this week, a place I've been visiting about twice a month since last Fall.  Before last year, I hadn't visited the city since 2001!  Quite a long time, and it feels like another person visited way back when.  It's a different lens between a young college kid looking for a salsa club and a (somewhat) older consultant here to talk about local HR operations.

Lots of people ask me about my safety here in Mexico, and by "lots" I mostly mean my my mother, mother-in-law, and husband.  I'm not trying to sound naive or unaware, but I really feel quite safe.  And I don't take any risks, of course - I'm not one for living on the edge anyway!  My exposure to Mexico City now is within the confines of a safe, wealthy barrio, staying at a JW Marriott, and traveling back and forth to the office with a driver  in a black Suburban with dark tinted windows. If someone wants to harm me, there is really not much opportunity.

It's such a shame the you can't really explore the country anymore, as Mexico City is only a snippet of all there is to offer.  Some of my FAVORITE memories from college center around one of my trips to Mexico:  the Copper Canyon valley, going from Chihuahua to the Pacific coast via train; crossing the border at Laredo and catching buses to San Miguel, Guanajuato and Guadalajara;  so many months learning Spanish (and how to salsa and shoot tequila) in Cuernavaca.  My hope is that this violence and chaos that disrupts so many beautiful areas of Mexico will soon be brought under control, so that one day my own kids can cross the border for a little adventure and other shenanigans that they don't write home to mama about.

Until then, I will continue to enjoy my time spent here in Mexico City, getting my fill of Mexican food, the Mexican culture, and the Mexican people - all things I really love! 


My view of the city this week - que linda!

No comments:

Post a Comment