If it seems like all that we ever post about are weekends, it's because for James and me that's when our life together takes place. I know I've written about both the perks and the pains of business travel, but one thing we've learned is to take advantage of our days when we're both in the same place at the same time!
So, events this weekend centered around two states: Texas and Georgia. Friday night was a "Texas-themed" evening, starting off with some steak chili and Shiner Bocks at our house before a Pat Green concert at Buckhead Tavern. Kellee, Michael and Ben joined us for the festivities. The concert sounded great, although I was a little disappointed I didn't hear more of my favorite, old-school Pat Green "songs about Texas" type of music. But, I guess he knew his audience (lots of Georgia folks wearing khaki pants with frat boy haircuts - not too many cowboy hats and wranglers.) :)
| "why don't you sing me one more song, about old San Antone" |
Sunday, we explored some of the beauty that Georgia has to offer: Kennesaw Mountain National Park and Battlefield. I forget (but James reminds me) that so much of the South was at one point a battlefield for the Civil War. Us Texans don't get as worked up about that 'war of Northern aggression' as they do down here, so it's always a good history lesson for me when we go exploring.
On our 10 mile hike today, James was my historian resident and my history lesson went a little something like this: He would call out "can you imagine being a soldier carrying his bags - barefoot, thirsty and hungry - up this mountain...." and then my mind starts to wander and I wonder why they are barefoot and why they don't just go AROUND the mountain like I'm planning to do on the hike back....and then wonder if I've hiked enough to break out the girl scout cookies I know James has stashed in the backpack...WHOOPS, pay attention, Jennie....and then I start listening again just in time to hear my Southern husband saying "it says there was a church here in 1864, but I guess the Yankees must have burned it down like they did everything else..." Oh, Lordy.
I tease a bit, but all those things were actually said within the 4 hour period that we were hiking.
At one point we stopped for lunch, overlooking the city of Atlanta in the distance. What a beautiful view! The 65 degree temps made it such an enjoyable, beautiful day. A few snapshots below.
It's hard to believe that you're actually very close to the city, when you're hiking up a small mountain. Look closely at the picture below, and you can see the downtown and midtown skylines.
With the warmer temps, there were a few flora that did not get the "this weather is deceiving, it's still winter!" memo. A poor little daffodil was sprouted along the trail, and then we came upon a magnolia tree with bright green leaves.
As you can see, this beautiful scenery is enough to inspire anyone to hike up and down all the trails. Well, that and the promise of girl scout cookies hidden away at the bottom of the backpack...

















No comments:
Post a Comment