Normally I would do a "year in review" post to close out the previous year, but this year I did not. I don't have the motivation to. And it's really not because 2020 was a terrible year for our family. Reflecting back, there was heightened anxiety (more than usual, for this Enneagram 6), uncertainty, disappointment, and inconvenience...but also so many blessings, good fortune under the circumstances, sighs of relief, and also divine protection. I fully recognize that many in our community, within our friends, and in our great country and world are not so lucky. They closed our 2020 thinking that any year could be better than that one. And I pray that 2021 brings them comfort, peace, and a definite improvement over the past year.
Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited about this new year. I'm very ready to move forward! I have great hope and expectations thanks the roll-out of the vaccine and the promise of "normalcy". Hopefully "normalcy" that is reflective of some of the learnings we had during this 2020 pandemic year (such as how valuable unstructured home and family time really is). I'm in no rush to return to nightly activities every.single.day. :)
So, ringing in the year. How did we do it? Quietly, haha. I got home a little late from work on NYE, took off my make up around 8PM, and wore sweats and a fleece. A friend texted to say she was spending her first NYE in a long time without a bra on, and I thought "SAME!" (although, let's be honest, sports bras are more the norm these days, haha). James, the kids, Gia and I enjoyed some food, sparklers, and running around the house - with no intention to be up at midnight. After we got those rascals in bed, James and I cozied up on the outdoor porch under our marvelously hot outdoor heater with some wine. Then, lo and hold, we talked till 11:45PM!
Thus, it made no sense to go to bed. We moved from the back porch to the front porch right as the clock struck midnight, watching our (loud, crazy) neighbors shoot off some large, beautiful mortar fireworks.
(Thankfully, no kiddos woke up under all the noise!)
New Year's Day we made sure to eat our black eye peas (for luck), some greens (for fortune), and enjoy some sweets and drinks (prepping for a dry, healthy January). I got zero pictures of the entire family, minus one pic from our grocery store run in our new masks.
The rest of the weekend we tried to stay sane. Our first weekend of the new year was cooooold and super rainy. We took walks between the showers, played games, and then baked homemade cinnamon rolls (which I had wanted to do the entire pandemic!)















No comments:
Post a Comment