My concerns going into this delivery were, first, the big kids and, second, speed of delivery. I had delivered fast before, and had heard that the third one can be super quick! Even though so many neighbors and friends offered to come over at whatever time to watch them, we also weren't keen on a middle-of-the-night hospital getaway with JB and Maryn waking up to missing parents. (I know they would have survived just fine, but, you know, emotional, hormonal mama worried so much about this scenario.)
After several appointments at 38 and 39 weeks where the doctor said I showed no signs of delivery, I started doing everything I had avoided the weeks prior. I walked the neighborhood, cleaned and organized anything I could get my hands on, chased after the kids, ate tons of pineapple (I read something about that inducing labor and just happen to love pineapple). Final check on Friday at 39 weeks + 5 days showed 1cm dilation (woo hoo!) and my doctor suggested an induction the next day. Of course we talked this over - different pros and cons - but ultimately we decided this made good sense for our situation. My parents hit the road in Texas, Gia and Aunt Wyllene made plans to travel in early on Saturday, and we arranged a good friend to come over very early that morning to watch the kiddos. We spent Friday night as a family of four in eager anticipation of the status change the next day!
Saturday morning was, well, uneventful. James and I managed to get into one little tiff on the car ride over (about the fact that we were 30 minutes late to the 8AM induction, grrr), but we quickly made up on the elevator ride to L&D because, seriously, such a special day!
As soon as we walked into the room the L&D nurses started their work. (I have a special place in my heart for all L&D nurses, who answer to this calling and provide such wonderful emotional, physical, and medical support during one of the most critical times in a woman's life!).
As the only patients (and we would remain so throughout the day), things moved quickly! By 9:45am they started the Pitocin drip, at 10:15am they broke my water, and seconds later the contractions arrived in full force. Since they had to call the anesthesiologist to come to the hospital, all the nurses and doctor kept saying "please don't wait". At 11am he arrived and thank goodness. After he left I had only progressed to 3cm, so James went to get lunch while I enjoyed reading my book and watching college football. (I mean, when's the last time I can say I got to enjoy a lazy Saturday??)
During a 1:30pm check the nurse commented that she believed me to be around 8cm.. They called the doctor in and while waiting she checked again - this time saying "oh, there's his head! Don't push!" The nurses scrambled to set up everything with the doctor arriving just in time. A couple of pushes during the next contraction and Wesley arrived at 1:59pm!
Oh that sweet moment - I hope it's always so fresh and I can always picture when this baby (and the other two) were placed on my chest and in my arms for the first time. It's magical - a true miracle. So many kisses from me and James (and between me and James)...
We enjoyed a wonderfully long skin-to-skin time while oblivious to all the other things the doctors and nurses did to ensure both Wesley and I were in good shape.
Weight came in at 7lbs 1 oz, and length at 20 inches. So our longest baby, but a skinny one. Everything else perfect - such a blessing.
James took pictures and we called the grandparents. My parents were driving, nearly to the hospital, and I knew when Mother texted "how's it going" that I couldn't keep a secret. I FaceTimed her and - surprise!! - had a baby in my arms! (Fortunately they got there within the hour so that Mother could snuggled him all fresh and new.) We had the phone tree going from the recovery room. So many people that we love and wanted to share the news with.
This little boy's impending arrival took us by complete surprise in February. I read an old prayer journal from September 2016 where I circled "praying for guidance on our family size - baby #3?" And then God answered this prayer quite definitively with baby Wesley in our arms nearly a year later.
We could not be happier that he is the little finale to our family! Wonder anew, what the Almighty can do...
























Oh, what a wonderful delivery story!! So happy for you guys!
ReplyDeleteLove this so much! So happy he is here and healthy!
ReplyDeleteGosh, what a sweet and special story. Takeaways:
ReplyDeleteA- you continue to dominate in the Best Hair Post Birth category...clear winner every time. So good to see so many blessings in the Sasser home!
B-God is so faithful.