Monday, October 30, 2017

Wesley Robert - One Month Old

Last Monday, Wesley turned one month old. And it took Mama a full week to complete the post about it.  What can I say - he came into a busy, wild family.  Time to sit and type is a luxury these days!



I can't believe a month has passed since we welcomed him to our family.  However, it also feels like it's been a loooooong month.  Sleep deprivation and non-stop activity take a toll on the parents, but Wesley (and the other kids) are doing great!  This kid has been on many adventures in his first month of life, and I don't see it quieting down anytime soon. So far, he doesn't seem to mind.  


This newborn stage is exhausting, but also so very sweet. Wesley is a wonderful cuddler who loves nothing more than to snuggle and relax in someone's arms.  He makes the sweetest little faces, his stretches are adorable, and he loves to look deeply into your eyes. (Can you tell his Mama is slightly infatuated?). I cannot say he makes the most adorable little squeaks.  Wesley is the loudest - THE LOUDEST - baby.  He grunts (and grunts and grunts) all day and night - and not like soft grunts, like super loud grunts. He's also a very loud tooter (and he hasn't earned the nickname "Toots MaGoots" for nothing.). He's still in our room, but now sleeps in our closet in his rock-n-play.  

This past week (the one where I've been delinquent on the blog update) he's already changed so much. I can anticipate things moving at a rapid pace as Wesley grows and changes. When the difficult newborn stuff is wearing on me, I force myself to remember that this is all so temporary!  This will all pass (too) soon!  But I can't help but become excited to learn more about this precious baby boy as his personality develops and he wakes up from his newborn daze. 



Loves that paci...

So here we go -  his one month stats!

Wesley's Measurements:
  • Weight: 9lbs 8 ounces
  • Height:  (No wellness check since he did so well at his 2 week update, but I will say LONG)
At 1 Month Old,  Wesley...

…Eats every 2-3 hours during the day, and you can set a clock to him. Rarely has he gone past the 3 hour mark (even at night...) I've had the pleasure of working with the hospital's wonderful lactation consultant several times as we dealt with both tongue tie and so much milk that I could feed several baby Wesleys.  However, things seem to be working better (and he's obviously growing very quickly).

…Sleeps a lot, just not consecutive hours. We experienced a little day/night mix up the first week, but that quickly resolved (thank goodness).  Naps during the day are fairly solid, but he would prefer that I let him snuggle in and snooze after a feed.  He's definitely not down with the "eat-wake-sleep" methodology. Wesley also does not prioritize nighttime sleep like his parents. He still gets up at least 2 (sometimes 3) times a night and had a little 4AM witching hour for a week or so.  I'm holding out hope for some improvement in this area in the next couple weeks/months as I gradually enforce a routine.

...Wears 3 month clothes or 0-3 month clothes.  Like his sister, his torso is so very long and we could barely snap anything newborn size by Week 3.  I kept him in newborn diapers way longer than I should.  He's finally breathing better in Size 1.

…Loves snuggles; the paci; lounging on his back and watching the lights or ceiling fan; stretching and tooting

…Does not love a swaddle, but they are growing on him.  However they must be very tight. Fortunately Mama can swaddle like a mother.  (HAHA, I'm cracking myself up, I am so tired...)

...Has mixed emotions about the chaos in our home. We get a lot of wide eyes when the big kids (or dog) are being loud!



Month One -  We love you so much already, baby Wes-a-ley! We're so glad you joined our family!



Previous Updates on Wesley:

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to meet him a couple weeks!!!! I have some MMS in 3-6 if you want them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is the SWEETEST! I love his hair! What a precious little guy! Hoping he takes to routine well and that you guys can get some sleep. I can honestly say this is the part I'm dreading the most about adding a second one to the mix. I really, really love sleep, and while he won't be a newborn, he likely will struggle with sleep after so much change and we're all going to be struggling with jet lag. Perfect recipe for a cranky mama. Lord, give me strength.

    Also, SERIOUSLY love that blanket. We're doing a mountain theme for his room, so I'm pretty obsessed right now.

    ReplyDelete