I remember enjoying it as an older child (it opened when I was in Middle School maybe?), and I also know my parents love it. In fact, they have a Grandparent membership which allows them to take their grandkids as much as they want.
The great thing about the zoo is that it's small enough to see everything before you exhaust little attention spans, but what all they pack into the mid-size zoo is really outstanding. Great number of animals, great exhibits, everything in a very natural environment (no metal cages with concrete floors) and you get incredible views of the animals. It's just such an enjoyable 2-3 hour stroll.
JB loved the orangutans! They were lounging and not bothered at all when JB stuck his face up to glass. In fact, they gave him a kiss on the glass (and totally made his day!) We have a video of it and JB requests to watch it over and over again.
While JB loved the up close view of the animals, Little Miss did not appreciate all the sounds and noises and sudden movement from the habitats. It took her a little while, and it wasn't until the aquariums and otters (end of the trail!) that she warmed up to the idea of them.
By the final monkey cage (who she refers to as "ah ahs") Maryn decided that these animals were pretty fun. It's a shame we couldn't go through again!
After the exhibit we enjoyed some playground time. I tried to bypass it because we were nearing lunch time/nap time, but JB wasn't about to let me get away with that!
I also attempted some photos of the children in their coordinated outfits. As usual, the children cooperated fully, resulting in magazine quality shots... :)
As we walked out the gate, Gran Gran treated the kids to a stuffed animal to remember the trip. Maryn immediately picked out an "ah ah" and JB took a while before settling on a tiger (that he promptly named "snuggles"). They've slept with them* ever since.
(* well, the "ah ah" was in the line of fire during the throw up incident on the way home, so he's had to undergo several washings over the last week. How in the world can that smell linger through washing and spraying and all the other methods I have tried!?!?!)
Such a fun day!!! I'm already wanting to go back next time we make a Waco visit.
















No comments:
Post a Comment