Thursday, January 19, 2017

A Family that Cooks Together...

Unless y'all want to hear about contract negotiations, end user testing, or James' and my busy travel schedule, nothing too much to report on the blog.  We've purposefully tried to make January a low-key month of lazy family time, free of weekend excursions or commitments.  It's been nice!  

One thing we've done more of lately is cooking with the kiddos.  Both are very enthusiastic about helping us prepare food.  James is a pro at making waffles in the new waffle iron (which I admittedly told my parents we didn't need, but they got us one anyway and it's been a super big hit.)  Maryn likes to watch the iron and tell us when it's ready (i.e. when the light turns green).


JB and I like to bake desserts and snacks after Sissy goes to bed.  Last night we made these Milk and Cereal Bars - super tasty!  They are slightly healthier than rice crispie treats (as long as you don't eat half the pan like I did.)  JB doesn't understand why he can't eat them for breakfast (um, loads of marshmallow sugar goodness.)


Maryn still continues to be my fantastic little eater, devouring anything I put on her plate and eating a wide variety of food.  JB has gotten pickier and pickier.  Last night I got brave enough to say "this is what's for dinner.  It is this or nothing until breakfast".  He was able to hold out until 8PM when he finally realized MAMA MEANS BUSINESS.  


He ate about half the plate before he declared that he "DID NOT LIKE THIS".  Because he fulfilled his end of the bargain (trying it), I rewarded him with some bread and apple butter. 


I'm not sure if that is the right parental move.  Probably need to read a book on how to win the dinner time battle (any suggestions?)

No comments:

Post a Comment