At another pediatrician visit earlier in the week (for a stubborn little rash on JB's bum that no cream has been able to conquer) she casually mentioned to us that she could hear a heart murmur. She was quick to say "now, don't panic!!", but, seriously, a heart murmur?! Doesn't that sound really terrible?! She assured us that this is actually not uncommon to hear in newborns, and that it could be caused by something unrelated to a defect or an actual problem. And that an actual defect or problem would most likely be highly correctable. As she was writing out my referral for the pediatric cardiologist at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta, she again said, "now, don't you leave worrying about this, Mama". (I do really, really love our pediatrician, but she was crazy if she didn't think I was going to worry a bit!)
The Heart Center at CHOA has a policy to get infants under 6 weeks of age in within 72 hours. This meant we didn't have to wait too long until our appointment last Friday. From the beginning, the nurses and staff were fantastic - putting our minds at ease, being super sweet to our little guy, being patient with him (and us) as we did an impromptu feeding to try and keep JB as content as possible while he lay naked on a table (no small feat!!)
Not only did JB stay content, he pretty much chilled out the entire 2 hours. After getting really mad at the blood pressure cuff (causing the nurse to retake it several times because the numbers were so far off), he showed everyone his laid back attitude and rocked his appointment.
He seemed to think the ECHO was a baby massage, and stretched his arms and neck so the sonographer could get all the images she needed.
Although I was super appreciative of his calm behavior during the appointment (I had been stressing about an unhappy infant!), we were even more grateful for a great report from the doctor. As suspected, what they heard as a murmur is actually Peripheral Pulmonic Stenosis (or narrowing of the teeny tiny arteries that take blood from the heart to the lungs.). Super common in little babies, and something that will resolve on its own as he grows. What a relief and prayer answered!
Big James decided we should celebrate the good news about Little James with some BBQ, so we took our (still chilled out) baby to Pig n Chick.
We feasted on smoked wings and enjoyed some "dessert" (homemade pork skins).
So, week 3 of life: JB's first of many BBQ experiences, and hopefully his last EKG and ECHO. A great week. :)

















Glad to hear it was nothing "big" and that your little guy is a-ok! I hope you rewarded him by sharing some of that BBQ with him ;)
ReplyDeleteYikes, how scary!!! I'm so glad it turned out to be no big deal...but I can't imagine how scary it was! Good call on BBQ to celebrate...raisin' that boy right!!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWe need to try the pig skins. I saw them when picking up our order. I didn't want to wait on them while our food got cold.
ReplyDeleteSo glad that JB is ok!
You are so lucky you can go places and he is chill. Reagan never let us at that age.
Whoa! I'd have freaked out!!! I'm proud of your for staying calm and not marching over to CHOA immediately and demanding the tests... because that's what I might have done! Glad to hear JB is doing well and that he got a good report!
ReplyDeleteGlad it was nothing! Jealous of those pork skins! ;)
ReplyDelete