I had been hemmin' and hawin' about wanting to go home to Waco to see my padres, since I hadn't been home since Christmas and won't get back until Memorial Day. James had to travel to DC for the week and weekend, so he brilliantly suggested that I find a flight and enjoy some 1:1 with my folks. This was, like, 2 weeks ago. Fortunately, we were able to finagle a route that still had seats and didn't require a million Delta miles.
The weekend was just great. I ended up seeing so many more of my family members than I expected. In fact, I saw all of my immediate family, with the exception of my oldest brother and sister-in-law. I'll just have to look forward to May when I can hang out with them!
1. Obviously me and my mama (such a small picture!) - we had a LOT of fun this weekend, and even had a chance to go shopping. And, we tried to clean out her closet(s). Which was a challenge... :)
2. My sister, Stephanie - a very unexpected surprise since she lives in Denton and I hadn't planned to see her! But, her kiddos were also staying with my parents this weekend, and she met my Dad and me in Hillsborough to drop them off.
3. My super cute little great niece, Brielle, who had so much fun with her Aunt Jen Jen. (I didn't snap a picture with her mom and dad, but it was fun to catch up with them, too.)
4. My other super cute niece, Tori, who was sweet enough to decorate this very lovely cake for a little early birthday celebration.
5. The weekend crew - my niece (Tori), Mother, nephew (Tristan), Daddy, ME - super happy to see my family, brother's GF (Shawntel), and brother (Kelly). Of course, we were at Poppa Rollo's pizza on Friday night. It's not a trip to Waco without it.
6. Saying goodbye to my Daddy at the airport - the hardest way to end a great trip!
Lots of fun activities over the course of the weekend, including lots of cooking, lots of eating, and lots of Big XII women's basketball watching. Oh, and multiple trips to HEB Plus. Because I can find a million reasons to go to HEB. So many, in fact, that I had to borrow another bag to get home with all my loot. (Well, my HEB purchases - such as multiple bags of Houston Blend coffee - plus birthday presents, plus frozen deer meat and hog meat from my brother. You know, the important things that I can't cross the state line without.)
Did I mention that we ate a lot? Well, we did. When I'm only in Texas a few times a year, I have to take advantage of all my favorites...
1. Bush's chicken. Such good, crispy chicken tenders. I'm pretty sure they cook with trans fat, which just breaks my heart. But, oh well - worth it.
2. ThunderCloud Subs. When I was trying to hold back tears in the Austin airport after saying goodbye, seeing this immediately lifted my spirits. I haven't eaten one of their yummy subs since college!
3. Poppa Rollos Pizza. I've already explained why this is always on the agenda. My favorite pizza joint.
4. Jalepeno Poppers Cheese Curls. Now, I actually didn't know these were missing from my life...but, they were. Holy goodness, that's a lot of good flavor in a cheese curl. In general, I feel like you can find some really great chips in Texas. This is most likely due to their proximity to Mexico, who has - by far - the most outstanding chip collection of any other country I've been to.
5 / 6. Deer Sausage and Steaks (grilled by my Dad) and Homemade Deviled Eggs, Corn Casserole and Pasta Salad (made by my mom and Shawntel). Who needs to go out a lot when the family cooks this good.
7. Kolaches. If someone can find a decent kolache within a closer driving distance to me than West, Texas, then please - for the love - send me the address. Because I've yet to find anything that even comes close to these babies. (Actually, take that back - I've yet to even FIND a kolache outside of Texas.) We bought a few half dozens of the fruit, cream cheese, and meat kolaches. They were all gone by Sunday, minus the couple I stowed away in my purse for James.
8. Dairy Queen. Something about Texas just makes me want Dairy Queen. Their motto, "That's what I like about Tex-as", gets stuck in my head and I feel the need for a blizzard. This one, outside the little town of McGregor, Texas, hit the spot.
I'm sure you can all agree that it was a pretty fabulous weekend. Seeing all my fam, eating so much good food, spending some time in my home State. Can't complain one bit! Well, except for the fact that James missed out on all the fun. :)
I'm already looking forward to May when I'll see all this gang PLUS about 30 more of the fam and family friends.
















Yay Texas! And as you suspected, yes, I do take many of those foods for granted, sadly :)
ReplyDeleteIf I ever visit Texas, I'll know what foods to try and eat!
ReplyDeleteI am so jealous of all the good food you got to eat! Can't wait until I get to take a trip down south and well just be able to eat carbs again!! :)
ReplyDelete