I love my home state, and particularly all my family members in it. This weekend, James and I traveled to Waco to spend some quality time with the Kerrs. The only people missing were my brother and sis-in-law, Marty and Missy, and we certainly missed them.
First and foremost I needed to spend some time with my Mimi, who turns 85 next week and is feeling every bit of all those years. Every second with her counts, and I feel blessed when I get to see her and especially when I get to listen to all her stories! This is a woman who talks about going to dances in the early 40s and having the GIs fill up her dance card; who traveled all over the Pacific in the 50s with children in tow; and who taught me to crochet when I was only 8 years old (and is responsible for the 100+ blankets I've made, including one I finished this weekend). She always tells the story of when she met my grandfather, and I remember that when he asked her out she said "make it light on yourself". I still to this day have no earthly clue what that saying means, but they were married 63 years so I'm guessing it means "yes".
I also spent some wonderful time with my padres. They are always a hoot. I mean, who else has leash-trained their cat?
| Charlie, enjoying some outdoor time on her leash |
| The kitties, "playing" |
I think they needed some good old fashion fun and laughter this weekend, too. We enjoyed a round of cornhole, and I'm happy to report that Daddy and I beat James and Mother after a long, long game.
| Cornhole game |
My sister Stephanie and her family also came down from Denton, which always adds an element of fun. Of course we saw my brother Kelly every day since he’s just up the road. While all the boys went gun shopping on Saturday (hunting season is just around the corner), Mother, Steph and I took Tori back-to-school shopping where we attempted to find shorts/pants that fit looooong little legs and a tiny, tiny waist. What can I say, she takes after her auntie. Well, before this auntie discovered her love and passion for all things gourmet.
| Brother-in-Law, Marcus |
Randomly as we left for the mall, we came across a Longhorn in the middle of our road!! I guess he had escaped from the ranch up the road. Only in Texas. Mother had to drive over to the neighbor's to ask him to call the Sherriff. Again, only in Texas.
![]() |
| Hook Em Horns |
And if there is anything that these Kerrs love more than each other, it's food. James and I ate good this weekend, and a lot of stuff that's not normally on our "healthy eating plan". We started out with a few Waco classics. Mother and I ate Dee's Mediterranean for lunch while James and Daddy had BBQ. For dinner, we headed to my personal favorite, Poppa Rollos, which is the only place I can bring myself to eat iceberg lettuce salad (because their ranch is SO GOOD) and 3 pieces of pizza. James got to indulge in Lone Star beer out of a frosty mug. On Saturday while the gals enjoyed a healthy salad the boys headed to George's. And then on Saturday evening my dad got out the cast iron skillets and fried up some catfish and okra. Doesn't get much better than that! I also made a lemon meringue pie for Mother's birthday, which had a delicious flavor but unfortunately did not set very well once it was plated. Something I'll definitely be fixated on fixing in the future.
| Daddy, frying catfish |
All these things remind me that I'm thankful I'm a Texan. And that I'm a Kerr. And that I'm now a Sasser, because adding James into this mix makes life even more special.














Why didn't you eat at Bushs? :) For me, that would be worth a visit back to Waco!
ReplyDeleteWe just didn't have enough meals (or prilosec)to make a Bush's run. But, ooooh, it's good. Now you've got me thinking about it!!
ReplyDelete