And then Wesley. Our little Wesley... We planned to hold off until rising 3rd grade, but he begged and begged and wore us down. So we dropped him off this year, at 7 years old!
Oh, and on the way to camp we also dropped off Tess for puppy school. I think James had a harder time with that drop off than leaving the human kids :)
We left the night before to spend some time in NC, finding a SUPER cool little hotel that used to be a fire station. It's quiet right now in NC, as many towns still recovering from the devastating floods in 2024. The people are so resilient, and I know the tourists will return again soon. We certainly will!
And then, Sunday, drop off time! We went to Timberlake first, and even JB admitted to some butterflies as we reached the loooooong drive into the camp.
After Timberlake we made the trek over to Black Mountain to drop off Sis. I cannot say it enough, but I'm SO PROUD of her. It would be one thing to say goodbye to your parents when you have no nervousness, but to say goodbye and walk away when you're super nervous? That takes so much courage. (Fortunately she had one of her little besties with her this year, too, so I know that helped her, too.)
And then it arrived, the day to pick up the kids! My heart nearly explodes on the pick-up morning, waiting to give them hugs and hear about everything! Wesley did GREAT (despite all the pictures I saw online of him giving side eye, playing by himself in the dirt, or getting a piggyback from the older boys), and immediately asked us to sign him up for next year. He also was awarded the honor camper award for junior cabins! JB also did great - which I was expecting - and is begging for a full month of camp next year. He got several counselor and peer commendations as well.
____________________________
Less than a week after getting our kids from camp, we watched the news in horror as the girls' camp in Texas searched for the many missing campers and counselors who were swept away by the July 4th flooding. Looking at their pictures and smiles, the girls the same age as Maryn...it absolutely broke our hearts. We pray that our faithful God covers those families, and all impacted families, with His love and strength as they face the days ahead.













No comments:
Post a Comment