Friday, March 3, 2023

Puerto Rico!!

For our kids' Christmas Bauble Stockings this year we put in a word puzzle that led to their big present: a trip to Puerto Rico!  Nothing like escaping from our winter (which has, admittedly, been very, very mild) to the warm sunshine! Neither James nor I had visited this US Territory, and with James still without a valid passport we were limited by our Carribean island options.  So glad we visited because we will certainly be back.  Fantastic place!  

Ms. Therlon joined us for the trip and made our lives much easier (since it's hard to watch three kids with only 2 sets of eyes) plus brought her usual warmth and humor. We all had so much fun exploring the island, lounging by the pool, meeting iguanas, eating delicious food and mudding through the rain forest.  Below: PICTURE OVERLOAD!






















James and I went into Old San Juan one afternoon for a walking tour with Juan Carlos, learning about the history and the architecture of the city center.  Although I love the beach, I'd also love to come back and spend more time in the cultural center with all the art, food and COLOR.


















We also had a rainforest adventure in the Yonque National Forest, the only rainforest in the United States.  We toured it via UTVs, which the kids LOVED (despite the fumes, mud and mess...or maybe because of it!)
















After the ride we got to enjoy some refreshing coconut drinks by the water, then a wonderful meal (and local beer!)  I tried the mofongo and whaaaaaaat?  So delicious.  Glad I'm not tempted by it every day.








Speaking of food (and drinks) we enjoyed a lot of it while we were in Puerto Rico :)  The hotel's breakfast buffet was delicious, the kids enjoyed room service a few nights, we explored the Quiskos for some traditional food, and sometimes just ate snacks in the bed or bath or balcony.






The last night we enjoyed a sunset cruise around the harbor and island. It gave us a different view of the fort and the Old San Juan city center, plus some FANTASTIC views of the sunset. The kids were apprehensive at first, fearing we'd fall into the water (????), but then they got over it once they realized the endless supply of (virgin) fruity drinks.  I took no less than 30 pictures on the boat.  We had so much fun!
















We said adios to Puerto Rico with very full hearts, wonderful memories, maybe a little tan, a new jersey that JB has worn nearly every day since, and the hopes to return again soon!








No comments:

Post a Comment