Wednesday, February 21, 2018

A "Mama" Day

My company gave us President's Day as a holiday this year, which I did not complain about at all.  (James' company also gave it as a holiday, but James, as the President, did not give himself off.) :)

This holiday led to a "me" day.  Ms. T still managed the children like a normal working Monday, and I took advantage of 9 unscheduled hours to unwind a bit.  Nine hours where I didn't have responsibility for anything but myself - sometimes it's needed, y'all!

Here's a recap of how I spent my day (in pictures, instant filter).

First, the boys woke up crack of dawn and gave me lots of good cuddles and hugs.  That makes up for the early rising - this Mama is not an early bird.


JB and I made pancakes for the family, particularly for Sis who requests them each morning. I only put a few "weird" things in them (i.e. flax seed meal).


My latest batch of kombucha had sat brewing for longer than recommended, but still tasted good as I bottled it up.  I even had time to prepare the new batch immediately.  (It looks grosser than it tastes, trust me!)



Around 9AM I poured another cup of coffee - that I got to drink hot!!  I re-read my bible study chapters for the evening sessions to refresh myself on the content.  They were just as powerful the second time around. Highly recommend Max Lucado's Anxious for Nothing book.


After a quick rendezvous with the ole pump, I left the house for my SPA APPOINTMENT!!!!!!!  The weather delivered lots of sunshine with perfect temps.  I drove around with the top down all day.  


I left the spa uber-relaxed and met James for a day date.  Sushi!  I forgot and ordered Nigiri instead of Sashimi, receiving a lecture from the owner about "wasting rice".  (Seriously????)


I arrived home with the intention of a streamed 21-Day Fix workout, but the weather (and vizsla) beckoned me outside.  First walk of the year where I arrived home hot.  BRING IT.  I'd much rather sweat that shiver, any day of the week.


During my walk I listened to two sermons from Church of the Resurrection in Kansas City. Their pastor, Adam Hamilton, just finished a series on World Religions.  I highly, highly recommend.  As he explains, 2/3s of the world are not Christian, but we, as Christians, are called to love our neighbor. How can we love all our neighbors if we don't understand them?   



I underestimated how much time I had left in my day, which left me scrambling to feed Wes, shower and get ready for music class!  Maryn, Wesley and I attend every Monday after work, and it's a real highlight of the week.  



On the way home from music I declared that I could not hear "Skip to my Lou" one more time (especially on my "me" day), and turned it to 90s on 9. Massive protests from the backseat.  

We got home with just enough time for me to hand 2 of the kiddos over to James, kiss the third kiddo (who played with Ms Kari, our little nighttime helper on Monday/Wednesday nights), wrap a baby afghan, and get in my car again.  Normal Mondays are my bible study night, but we also threw a baby shower for one of our girls this night.  Baby Walker is a much prayed for little man, and we can wait to meet him!


(I love this group of girls!!!  I'm so blessed to have this bible study and to learn from and be inspired by the women in it.)



I got home at 9PM to find a quiet house...and one little guy hiding out under the covers of the couch. Guess he thought I wouldn't see him??  I couldn't be too mad, since it meant I could put JB to bed (a good 30 minutes after his bedtime.)  


Not pictured - me staying up way too late to watch the Olympic finals in Ice Dancing!

WHEW, what a day!  I'm really grateful that I have people in our lives (including my very hands on husband) that allow me to step away from the chaos every now and again.   I'll admit I felt guilty some during the day (is this a woman thing?), but I also know that feeling relaxed, happy, and focused helps to make me a better Mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment