Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Maryn's Birth Story

Sweet little Maryn was obviously more aware of her due date than her Mama. I had been using September 8th, when all along the doctor had the 3rd in my chart.  Although it was a little unnerving when I first heard this a few weeks ago (5 days less to prepare!!) I also didn't give it much thought as I believed for sure she would be here late August.

Once we slipped into September, I was ready.  But then nothing! Both James and I anxiously thought "when is it going to happen?!"  

In the the middle of the night on the 2nd/3rd, I began to wonder if there was more to this due date than we thought... I woke up to some contractions that definitely felt stronger than my normal Braxton Hicks.  I kept sleeping, but every time I woke up I was having one.  Around 5AM I got up feeling rested...and crampy. I moved to the chaise to watch TV while timing contractions.  Sure enough, they averaged every 6 minutes or so.  For a good two hours!

They were not, however, super painful or long.  I gave James a heads up, tried to level set expectations when he proclaimed "we're having a baby this morning!!" and finished packing my hospital bag. Each contraction became more painful as I got JB dressed, so we threw the bags (and the dog) in the car along with our first born. Once JB was in school and Enda was in doggie daycare, I reassessed and discovered that the contractions were definitely more painful - but now every 8 mins apart. James decided we had time for Starbucks, and I decided we could head to his office so he could work while I walked the halls. No need for the hospital quite yet.

I called the on call doc who suggested I come into the office for a quick check. After the contractions slowed to 10-13 minutes apart, I ignored the on call doc's suggestion and moved my pacing into the neighborhood behind the office.  I walked up and down the same few streets, getting a little discouraged each pass and wondering if our birth story was going to include several false alarms.  By this time the contractions had practically stopped.  

James and I went to Pho for lunch, then ran to grab JB (who had early dismissal due to VP Joe Biden's speech in the building where JB's school is located.) While JB napped, I tried to nap myself - just in case I had a long night ahead. Ms. Leron came by to help with JB, but I resigned myself this baby was not coming that day.  My contractions were irregular and even less painful as this point. 

It did not mean that I was ready to stop obsessing and worrying about it, though.  I felt so anxious about what was going on that at 3:30pm I called the on call doc again to get her thoughts.  She reminded me that a check in the office would take no time at all, so I ran downstairs and informed James we were headed in.  Ms Leron asked about JB's dinner, which I assured her we would be home in time for.  

The doctor did a quick check in the office and casually said the following: I was not in active labor (agreed), my cervix was nearly 5cms dilated (wow), and she recommended admitting me (WHAT?!) While we collected ourselves, my own OB came in and confirmed the thinking.  I had a speedy delivery with JB, and there was concern that whenever I did move to active labor it would be quick. So quick that the doctors feared I wouldn't get an epidural (a definite part of my birth plan) or I would have one of those crazy Hollywood "race to the hospital" birth stories. My doctor even joked "you may sneeze and have this baby." Everyone agreed a more controlled birth was in our best interest.

So at 5pm we meandered over and checked into the hospital.  As James ran home to check on JB, I started contracting quite strongly and consistently.  They began my IV antibiotics (GSB positive), my fluids for the epidural, and we waited not-so-patiently for James (while I reminded everyone that I wanted an epidural ASAP, as things were starting to hurt.)


The moment he walked in (around 6pm), the doctor broke my water.  Within minutes the contractions we coming quickly at an ICANNOTSTANDITANYMORE intensity.  I was practically yelling for the anesthesiologist when she walked in the door.  Modern medicine is a beautiful thing...

My epidural hadn't even kicked in yet before the doctor came in for a check at 7pm.  She smiled and exclaimed "baby time!!!" Approximately 2 hours after arrival, I was already at 10cms.  The nurse and I quickly went over my birthing wishes, the baby nurses brought in all their equipment, we started pushing at 7:30, joked that our babies might have the same birth time, and - kid you not - baby Maryn entered the world at 7:48pm, the exact same time as her big brother nearly 2 years before. 

Different than last time, she was immediately put on my chest and left there for skin to skin.  We spent the next hour like that, watching her pink up, look around, and kissing her over and over. It was such a precious time that we will not forget.  At one point the nurse and doctor stepped out, and it was just the three of us, savoring that special time.

Dr. Vinoyan and Nurse Veronica - my great medical team
Once the pediatric nurses came in, we caught a glimpse of her hair (it looks all different colors, and there is a lot of it!), confirmed her weight (I impressed everyone with my accurate 7lbs 11oz guess - it was my birth weight, too!) and also heard the best news of all - so healthy.  




She latched on immediately after her bath and nursed like a champ.  And hasn't really stopped nursing since!


It's been such a joy to bring her into the world and into our family.  Although she is only 5 days, I can hardly remember what it felt like this time last week, pregnant with her and wondering "when will she be here?"  Because now she's here! And we could not be happier or more blessed. 




4 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! What a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love these stories!! So glad she is here and healthy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful birth story! I'm so glad everything worked out. I forget JB's birth story...maybe imbed a link to it for readers?

    ReplyDelete