Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Sunday Funday

Lately we've missed church a little more than I would like.  Partly because I've had to fly out on Sundays lately, but also because, well, just life circumstances.   JB is still taking two naps a day (hallelujah), which means the service we attend is at 8AM.  YIKES. When we do attend, we don't always make it through the sermon before home fries gets kicked out of the nursery for excessive crying.   It makes you feel pretty defeated to stand outside of the sanctuary while you listen to the benediction from the hallway.

BUT, I tell myself this is just a short period in our lives.  Soon JB will be a one-nap-a-day kid and we can hit up a later service.  Soon JB will realize the toys and kids and nursery are nothing but fun.  Soon we'll have a good attendance record again (because, you know, God tracks these things)  :)  (I KID, I KID!!!)

When we don't attend our normal church, Sundays look a lot like this:


Blurry, yes, but capturing this kid on camera is a challenge lately.  My view of him with my own eyes is usually flurry - he's so fast.  

On Sundays when we stay home, we spend a lot of time in PJs, sitting and playing, drinking coffee/keeping JB from spilling our coffee, making pancakes, and trying to wrangle this boy.  I love it.  


Enda gets lots of attention too, as she stays right in the middle of the action.  Sometimes a little too much attention from JB, who scares the bejeezus out of Enda when he jumps on her from behind.

"Must not let my guard down…" 
And then usually there is some type of total meltdown, for no good reason.  (Well, I don't see a good reason, but JB is clear there is a very solid reason for the fact he went from happy to unhappy in .5 seconds.)  



Lots of good memories being made these days.  I will always treasure them.  

When we do skip church, James and I use JB's morning nap to watch a sermon out of Kansas.  We really enjoy reading and listening to the Rev. Adam Hamilton, and he just wrapped up a great series about Half Truths, or phrases that sound Christian and "capture some element of truth - yet they miss the point in very important ways".  

The one that first caught my eye was "Everything Happens for a Reason".  OOOOOOH, how this one can sting - even when well meaning, even when coming from someone trying to help.  I got tired of this one quickly when it was said over and over to us while we waited patiently/not so patiently for our sweet JB.  The sermon - even though it actually turns the phrase on its head - was comforting.  I highly recommend you check out the series:


No comments:

Post a Comment