Friday, February 21, 2014

The Olympics!

Well, ice dancing and women's figure skating are now in the books for the Sochi Olympics, so that means I can now go to bed at a reasonable hour.  I was getting particularly annoyed at ole Bob Costas the last few days, when he would say "and coming up, figure skating!" but never mean it.  He would say it over and over between the hours of 7PM and 10:30PM…when finally skating would actually begin!  Seriously, who can stay up that late to watch skating!?

And, while I am complaining, I did not enjoy having to employ all my mad avoidance skills to hide from the final results that were plastered everywhere in the afternoon.  I am one of those people who, despite the time zone of the Olympic games, wants to watch things in Eastern Standard Time.  I get very angry about this! After CNN sent me a special alert at noon to tell me that the women's gymnastic team won gold in London, I immediately deleted the app in protest and even posted a mean comment online.  This year, I was prepared and knew all the websites to avoid...or so I thought.  As the women's free skate finally came up last night - at 10:30pm, geez! - it was time to drag myself up to my office to pump. I decided to live stream the performances so I wouldn't miss a thing, only to have the podium picture pop up the moment I went onto NBC's website. GRRRR - I was not staying up past my bedtime for my health, people!! I closed my eyes as quickly as I could, but it was too late.  I knew who I saw.  Why, NBC, why?!

I still watched till the end because I think Yuna Kim is an absolutely beautiful skater.  It was a good thing I did, too, because now I can weigh in on the whole gold/silver controversy* that the Today show informed me was brewing...

Source
(*My feelings on the "controversy", I get that Adelina landed more jumps, but she stumbled on one of them!  Yuna was absolute perfection, and I just think perfection deserves a gold.  Scott Hamilton was quite clear that those who don't understand the scoring system need to keep their opinion to themselves, so I'll just leave it at that…)

Now, watching hours of Olympics until my favorite events came on meant I did learn to appreciate many of the winter sports I hadn't paid attention to before.  Women's super pipe. The alpine events. Skeleton. I found these events highly entertaining, so glad I tuned in!

Truthfully, I probably won't watch that much more.  I don't really get into speed skating or hockey.  Bobsledding might lure me in, but I'm a little bummed that the Jamaican underdogs are out.  (Funny story, James asked me the other day "hey, did you know there was a Jamaican bobsled team". Um, HELLO, Cool Runnings!! I don't think James saw a movie in the 80s and 90s, because his cinematic knowledge from that era is seriously lacking.)

Hope everyone has a great weekend, and enjoys the last few days of the Olympics!

1 comment:

  1. The Olympics have been sort of... yawn... this year. I heard about the controversy this morning, but I didn't watch either girl skate so I can't really weigh in. It's not that I'd put it past Russia to rig it, certainly not after they lost to the US in hockey, but all the news venues in South Korea just seemed incredibly whiny. I would say this to Mr. Hamilton... maybe scoring shouldn't be the most complicated thing ever... like maybe we should go back to the good ol days of 1-10.

    And not watching Cool Runnings... what a CRIME! I actually work with a guy from Jamaica and I of course asked him if he loved/watched/participated/cared about bobsledding to which he informed me he found out about Jamaica's bobsled team from the movie as well. Sadness. Apparently American's love the Jamaican bobsled team more than Jamiacans.

    ReplyDelete