Well, at least we think. Everyone is being very non-committal (could be rain, ice, snow, or blizzard...anytime from Tuesday to Thursday) while at the same time being ubber cautious, less we repeat the same mistakes from Snowmaggedon two weeks ago. To show how the Sassers are preparing, I thought I'd share with you a little story:
So yesterday I decided to quickly hit up our neighborhood Publix in case this storm pans out. I grabbed my prepared menu/list for the week, and headed out the door at 4PM. Smart thinking, right? WRONG! Obviously we've got to make preparing for a storm as cumbersome as the storm itself around these here parts.
James had driven my car for the day, so this meant my only mode of transportation was what I affectionately refer to as our Big A$$ Ram. I have not been allowed to drive the truck since I "parked" it in our side driveway and took out the fence. However - emergency people! - I had no choice but to be brave and drive it to the store. I had not anticipated that the mad dash to secure supplies had already begun (48 hours before the storm), and there were only TWO parking spaces in the entire parking lot, both of which were teeny tiny. After some tears, perspiration, and cursing, I decided to go for the less risky spot on the end. I did take out two cones to the left, but I think we can agree this was better than side swiping the Audi to the right.
Once inside, I had to fight: fight for a cart, fight for the last carton of chicken broth, fight for my life. Publix was already out of most everything fresh (veggies, fruit, etc), and people were starting to go all Supermarket Sweep in the meat aisle. I realized my meal planning was in vain, as I came up empty handed for nearly half my list. I thought my luck was turning around when I saw fish sticks were BOGO (yes!), but was sad to see the particular brand used milk in the batter (boo!)
Finally I felt confident we had enough random food for 5 days of decent meals, but loaded up on some wine just in case things got too dicey over the week. I headed to check out, waited approximately 15 minutes in line, and finally got up to the front. The gentleman in front of me was arguing over the price of ground turkey breast, and asked for the meat supervisor. Now, don't get me wrong, I am constantly questioning how prices ring up. But with the line and the wait and the impending disastrous storm, I would have probably let them charge me up to 500% for turkey and been done with it. But not him. Which was smart because the meat guy came up with a ground turkey in hand to say that, yes, in fact, it was on sale for $4.99 a pound! I had been thinking ground turkey would be good, so I offered to take it off the manager's hands. And then the
UGH, whatever, no turkey; but I had my groceries and my wine so I was good, right? Guess what I did not have? MY ID! Which would have normally been okay except that the checkout girl decided I looked over 10 years younger than I actually am. Aw, such a sweet girl (who was refusing to sell me the one thing that was making this shopping trip not a total waste.) Fortunately another manager nearby vouched for me, and I was on my way.
I managed to get home in one piece, and did not hit anything (of importance) when I parked the Ram on the street (and on top of our green recycle bin and lawn bags).
So, if this storm hits, don't y'all worry about us. We'll be okay. We're prepared. We've got wine!!














Good luck, and God speed...
ReplyDeleteGood thing there's no milk in wine?! (c: Good luck..we are bracing for 6-12 inches...not what this Texan likes to hear in her forecast!!
ReplyDeleteHahaha this is so awesome!!! And you're so right...prices are of NO CONCERN when it comes to snowstorm prepping! I was thankful just to get whatever I could at the store last night. Off-brand bread full of preservatives and weird chemicals that I wouldn't normally touch with a ten-foot-pole? SCORE!!!!!
ReplyDelete