Monday, August 19, 2013

Restricted Activity, but Overactive Facial Expressions

I'm falling back into bad blog habits, with nearly a week between updates.  Y'all, there is just very little to report on lately!  I promise I'm not not blogging because we're so extremely busy that I can't find the time to document and replay all the exciting events we're getting in to.  It's really the opposite.

A lot of this is due to the fact that I am officially on what my doctor calls "restricted activity". I had yet another bad contraction episode that led to another afternoon of panic / confusion, in which my doctor actually left her on-call position at the hospital where she was delivering babies to come back to the office for a lecture. (The doctor I was seeing that day for a routine visit - a nice, older gentleman - actually called her over an hour in to monitoring so they could figure out next steps and she could lay down the law.)  She said it was obvious that my idea of "taking it easy" and her medical definition of "taking it easy" were not consistent, and that she was now ordering "restricted activity" (along with a prescription med) to get these contractions under control.  This includes (and she was very specific): no grocery store, no shopping, no cleaning, no cooking, no walking, no exercising, no big social events, no "anything that has you on your feet for more than 10 minutes", no nothing.  I can keep working because I already work from home, but I need to limit my moving to from the bed to the couch to the bathroom and back to the couch.  (She did allow me to go to my baby showers last weekend, as long as I walked from the car to a chair. Which I did.)

So, slight lifestyle change for the Sassers. I'm very naturally a go-go-go type of person, and I had so many plans for these last couple of months before the little one arrives!  I am, however, taking this very, very seriously.  Priority #1 has and will always be the safe and healthy arrival of this baby in October.  Over the weekend I was a regular couch potato, and all I do now is make lists of things I need to get done so James - my saint of a husband - can execute.  I can't say it's completely eliminated all the contractions, but some of the doctors have said I may just be someone that contracts a lot in the third trimester. They don't really hurt, they aren't sending me in to labor yet, and (besides inducing anxiety when they pick up steam in the evenings) I have been able to keep in fairly good spirits despite the fact I have a million hours to sit and worry about what all my happen the next 8 weeks.

Now, I hate to end a blog post on somewhat of a down note (which, we shouldn't look at this as a downer - it's keeping the baby safe and healthy so it's a good thing!) I think it's probably better to end with something that has been cracking me up ever since I started editing the photos from the baby showers.


I had family members use my camera during the showers, and those paparrazis did not fail to capture some pretty scary faces that I unknowingly make in front of an adoring audience.  Are these for real?  I will never judge celebrities on the cover of Star again...

And with THAT I will close out the post.   :)

4 comments:

  1. Hang tight baby Sasser! Hoping this restricted activity regimen helps to calm those contractions! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you need to rest up, Mama! Hopefully James will help you cross all those things off your list with a smile on his face, or some other equally awesome facial expression he could apparently learn from you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haa!!! Love the faces!! Good luck staying still!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I take a break from working, I am laughing out loud at this. Your expressions are beautiful- you're a gracious recipient of presents. :)

    ReplyDelete